• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Unique "Character" of your car?

my 1966 Polara hardtop has a dimple in the crease the size of a dime where the roof meets the side and rear of the car between the rear glass and panel in front of the trunk lid.. It is an original 25k car, and 20 years ago my painter said it was a factory blemish, and asked if I wanted it removed, as it was clearly done when the car was built. I said to leave it, that way I will always spot it in a crowd of turquoise 66 Polaras!

035 - Copy.JPG

I left my old $20 bill holder! Well, C/B mic holder, I never had $20 to spend when that was installed in the late '70's !
beerestoration2018 1291.JPG

Don't have a great pic yet, I'll add one later.

But my Charger has a MASSIVE paint drip (maybe lead?) on the sail panel. It's about 4x3 inches big and is a random paint splash shape. It's wearing it's original paint right now, (except some terrible primer I did to save it from surface rust). I bought it from the original owner almost 5 years ago, and I asked him and he told me that it'd been there since he bought it new and that it had never had any body work. The fit and finish on my car is exceptional, but I guess the paint and body guys at the factory were having a shitty day and slapped lead on the car and sprayed the paint extra thick. Lol Mopars are hit or miss quality.

I'll leave it and paint over it. Adds character.

upload_2021-11-14_0-10-39.png

My 73 has a build date of March 5, but the build sheets (including the crazy ones no one else has ever seen) are dated 2/28, which was my 5th birthday.

My 1970 Super Bee had a complete "personality" including emotions and character flaws.

I’d say the only thing that really makes my 71 Super Bee “mine” is the fact that its scheduled build date is identical to the build date of the 71 Challenger I had for 12+ years, a long time ago.

It has Mr Norm’s stickers on it like it was a Grand Spaulding car, which it isn’t. And a Hurst Equipped emblem on the rear when it has no Hurst equipment on it anywhere. I am probably just going to leave the stickers and the emblem in place..

65112A2E-FBAB-4579-A5FD-B9E81288FF5E.jpeg
Our 70 GTX has the strange ability to make my wife’s face go from serious to smiles when I say “mash your right foot!”

36B1CFE2-045C-4B96-A836-70FB065D5863.jpeg

“The scratch”. That’s what I call it because that’s what the original owner calls it. He worked for GM and daily drove the car, and back in those times there was a lot of brand loyalty going around. If you drove a car that wasn’t the brand you worked for, you took a lot of heat, and were relegated to the back 40 for parking at the plant. It got so bad that GM issued a memo about it, warning folks to lay off, and when he went out that night after the memo came out, the drivers door was keyed. When I took the car back for him to see, he was running his hand all over the car, and the look on his face told me he was back in 1970 again. When he came upon “the scratch” he brightened right up and said “the scratch, it’s still there”! He told me the story, and that sealed the deal for me. I wanted to know about all the other areas too, like the little dent in the hood chrome strip, and the one tooth busted out of the grille, and he told me every detail I wanted to know. It’s the best part of owning an original car, getting to hear the stories about “the scratch”!

24BAB205-1FE4-4973-9E9A-3A23394365CF.jpeg

My '72 Satellite always had a 'knock-knock' inside the drivers quarter panel. Then, one day when I had to pull the gas tank, I found out what it was - the float had come off the fuel gauge arm at some point before I got the car. They'd replaced the sender (gauge always worked for me)...but never pulled the acorn-sized float out of the tank.

I had to replace the fuel tank (behind the drive wheel, it was swiss-cheese on the bottom from 45 years (at the time) of tire-kicked road debris)...and I put the float in the new tank. It just seemed 'right'.

I love some of these stories, like "the scratch", the loose float in the tank, dents, etc. Putting the old float back in the tank is awesome. It truly is part of the character of a car, and sometimes you don't want the car to lose that "identity".

My 73 Road Runner dome light switch in the door frame has always been sticky. It never comes on when opening the door. If I want to dome light on, I have to grab the switch and pull it ever so gently to get the last bit to connect and turn on the dome light. It has been this way since 1979, and at this point I don't want to fix it. It "belongs" on the car that way!

Picture is of the original owner family Crest. Had to enlarge picture it cut him out. Second owner buffed it off.
arms.JPG

I've had a few cars with the sticky dome light switch.

I called it factory stealth mode.

my 1966 Polara hardtop has a dimple in the crease the size of a dime where the roof meets the side and rear of the car between the rear glass and panel in front of the trunk lid.. It is an original 25k car, and 20 years ago my painter said it was a factory blemish, and asked if I wanted it removed, as it was clearly done when the car was built. I said to leave it, that way I will always spot it in a crowd of turquoise 66 Polaras!

View attachment 1193172
Had a 70 Challenger with a 'pimple' in the roof to quarter panel seam. I was a non vinyl top car so it got lead there instead of filler. Both seams were easily detectable but the on the passenger side had that 5/8" pimple and was done that way at the factory.

My 73 has a build date of March 5, but the build sheets (including the crazy ones no one else has ever seen) are dated 2/28, which was my 5th birthday.

My 1970 Super Bee had a complete "personality" including emotions and character flaws.
My 70 Challenger mentioned above was built on my birthday.....5/8/70 which was my 19th birthday. Kept that car for almost 19 years and is another one that I should have kept. Bought it in 1980 from the original owner and he kept it pretty dang nice. Probably had it for 10 years before I even looked at that lol

Original owner put this on dash I think. A warning to passengers of Hemi power? :D Don't think factory put this on (anybody see this on a car?) and the second owner didn't for sure. Saw this in a box of factory replacement seat belts.
seat beltf.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back