• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Unique "Character" of your car?

HawkRod

Formerly hsorman
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:09 AM
Reaction score
Many of our cars have some unique mark or way they operate that helps make them recognizable to us. I'm not talking about color or options, but typically some kind of defect that they have had for many years. In some cases, this defect becomes almost like an old friend and we leave it alone.

In my case, I chose to leave the defect in my 70 Road Runner when I restored it. Before I got the car, the ignition key must have broken off in the ignition cylinder. The short key still started the car, and when I restored it I decided to leave the broken piece in the ignition cylinder. I still use the short key and even keyed the doors to work with it!
20211113_082502.jpg

Does your car have any defect or characteristic that makes it uniquely yours?

Baby Blue has a 1969 passenger door, with the lock knob set further forward than the 1968 versions, the result of a sideswipe accident in the late '70s. The door is totally rust free, with a pristine, pit free vent window frame. She also got an NOS quarter panel out of that deal.

My 67 R/T pictured in the avatar has an extra hole drilled into the grille support/hood latch panel. The original owner, who I have met, was on the volunteer fire dept., and had a red light mounted behind the grille. I left the hole there when I repainted the car, as I felt it was a cool part of the car's history.

My 71 GTX is a project car from San Antonio, TX. Purchased in summer of 97'. When I pulled out the carpet all I found was Mexican pesos. No US change. Still have the change.

This is one of my fair weather daily drivers.
Its the Servprolara...I planned to change it, but couldn't destroy its identity.

20200703_170744.jpg

My 74 Rallye, though it was a January mid-production car came with a 73 hood. I know it was built that way because it had original paint and 74 440 emissions detail when I bought it in 1987. Also, The paint blackout on the hood was offset side to side by an inch.

My 69’s “Charger” emblem on the taillight panel is noticeably crooked. I will never fix it.

The odd stuff is fun. I’m bored with normal perfectly restored cars.

The road runner emblem on the right side of the dash on my 69 is noticeably crooked and I've seen a few others that are crooked as well. An old Mopar friend told me that if I ever saw one that was perfectly strait then someone has had it off and reinstalled it.

Before I joined here I never built a car back to stock. Stock to me was a mistake because after all these years there are many ways to improve on the original thought of the car, hindsight, foresight. This is just me and my thoughts on it. I don't care what the car is worth or if it's totally original. Things can be added for personal comfort or just a better idea for todays way of life or convenience. My whole car is unique and that's not necessarily a good or bad thing. I leave it as I got it because it was built as a mule car for someone looking for a better way for old to meet new.

As stated in prior threads. My '69 GTX was purposefully purchased as non numbers matching. (I didn't care. Or wished to pay that kind of money for all original.) But as I dug in? I didn't realize how non numbers matching? Though all period correct? Nothing is VIN/tag correct. Fender tag says D32 (Auto trans) which would also suggest 8 3/4" rear end for base 440? Car is 4-speed, Dana rear. Exterior for the most part is correct. Interior not even close. Can't read radiator support numbers. But engine, trunk, VIN/tag do not match. VIN and tag does match. And that's what title shows. Front fenders are clearly from a '69 Sport Satellite.

What I can gather? This car is from at least 2 different GTX. As well as some Satellite parts. The previous owner knew little. (But I suspect he may have knew more?) He owned for 7 years. He bought from an acquaintance that had the car for 15+ years. A Chevy guy that kept wanting me to look at a couple Chevs he had forsale. He said he bought from an acquaintance that probably did much the work/build to help him out on some medical issues. That acquaintance died shortly after. The trail goes cold there.

In conclusion. It is a non numbers matching '69 GTX. Lol.

Last edited:
My R/T has 67 Charger wheel wells crafted on to the stock 1/4s all steel. He did his yellow car and mine back in the 70s before I bought it in 82.
I love it like this.
20201224_210123.jpg

My R/T has 67 Charger wheel wells crafted on to the stock 1/4s all steel. He did his yellow car and mine back in the 70s before I bought it in 82.
I love it like this.View attachment 1193032
One would think you really need to know your '67s to notice? But I'm guessing so to get a bigger tire? I was looking at a '67 Belvedere that was mini tubbed to get a tire I believe would fit (Or VERY close) in my '69? So noticeably less room for '67.

My 66 Belvedere has a glitch in the starter relay that sometimes keeps the starter from engaging. Generally I would have to get out and either cross the terminals or tap it and it would be fine for another several months or more. One time when getting off work, it was about to down pour and it did just as I got in the car and yup, relay wouldn't work. I removed the torn up rubber floor mat a good while back to I pounded the floor kick up with my steel toed shoe and that did the trick. I'm glad the relay is mounted to the fire wall. Thing is, my first car, another 66 Belvedere did the same exact thing....and the weird thing is that no other Mopar ever did that to me. The first time this one did it made me think 'this is really strange'.

Having had a ’70 Cuda and ’73 Challenger the hood didn’t sit quite right along the front edge. I putzed with the ’73 and never could get it just right. When driving in my Cuda at certain speeds I’d hear a whistling noise figuring that was something to do with air flow or maybe the hood; never did trace that down. On my ’63 Plymouth, the door arm rest ends at a point where it jabs into my left knee if I lean my leg against it for too long. No reason (other than production costs, lol) to have made the rest as it was. Who knows, if ma mopar made it longer, it might have still jabbed my leg in another spot

The unidentified sealer on the top of the rear quarter, seems to have turned green over the years.

Also waiting for the clear coat from the only re-spray to completely peal off.
Changing color as it goes.

20200727_195919.jpg 20200727_200302.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back