• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Universal joints.....

Are the cups on the u-joint with red seals seated? If you put that in a vise and gently tighten it do the cups move in so clip to clip measure 2.125"?

Is it possible this needs some type of conversion u-joint? There are three types of them I think.

Is it possible this needs some type of conversion u-joint? There are three types of them I think.
No sir, the yolks are the same size. I might just have to take it to a drive shaft shop

So this is interesting. All the U joints that I have gotten that say they are 2.125 ...are not. I have yet to get a true 2.125 7620 joint. Anyone have one? I'm taking this part back to Summit, but I also want to confirm this with them in person so they can see it. Moog 246 U Joints are not true 2.125 out of the box.

Went to summit racing and there different u joints.....all were incorrect. Is there some magic u joint that came out for a 67 coronet?

That's a 7260 u-joint that comes on small blocks not about B or RBs.
There are only 3 Mopar factory joints. 7260, 7290, and 1330. If one of those doesn’t fit the installation process is incorrect or the inner width of the driveshaft has been bent slightly. I would get someone with real world U joint experience to help you. By the way. Buy a real dial caliper, they’re cheap.
Doug

Make sure you get it right
not just okay or it will work

This is the result of U-joint failure
it happened while on the dyno
And it's going to cost me a bit

but I will never use anything but Spicer again
Also going with the largest size U-joint

IMG_20201012_155349930.jpg IMG_20201012_172613689_HDR.jpg IMG_20201012_172632093_HDR.jpg

I'm going through EXACTLY what you did with the u joints.

Everyone claims 2.125 (2 1/8") but is actually about a 1/4" (2 3/8") too wide.

I tried Spicer, Napa, Duralast, all claiming 2.125, but all too wide.

Can I press them in with my 25 ton press? Yes but they are too tight.

I was hoping to mix and match new and old, but the cap inner diameter is different.

I'm going to ask around for original Detroit ones.

E60B950A-015F-49C5-9411-657D8265B92A.jpeg 4F20B7E9-0C93-4B31-B97B-11D5768E095E.jpeg

Finally. It’s astounding that manufacturers can’t measure or advertise correctly.

If you find the correct ones, grab me a set too..I’d appreciate it

I'm going to send a note to Dr. Diff to see if he has heard any
thing.

I have an old original shaft from my 70 D200.

I'm going to measure everything before I take it apart.

I'm going to message all my buddies to dig up any original Detroit 7260s in their junkpiles.

Talked to Dr. Diff.

He said after installing the u joint, give the yoke ears a whack with a dead blow hammer (hard plastic) to seat and relax the u joint.

I'm going to AZone to pick up a couple of u joints and give it a whirl.

I think you’ll find that the grease boots hold the cups apart. Squeeze the joint together in a vice and measure. It’s not uncommon to see the shaft dimension close up some either. Dr Diffs method will usually spring them back. Much better caliper.
Doug

Auto Transport Service
Back