• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

unswedge me

$105 for that rascal...and it's backordered:
I had to run to my local industrial supplier for an 11/16 holesaw because I couldn't find anything smaller than 3/4 at the box stores.... the Toolman told me he was doubtful that the holesaw would work...he was skeptical because he assumed I was actually cutting cast iron to do those swedges. So, he said he had carbide tipped holesaws for ~ $50 in small sizes.
I went ahead and got the regular metal holesaw in 11/16" because the drum centers are not cast iron anyway I don't believe.... all plain steel, it cut the swedges and separated the drum in just a few minutes...hub looks great. :thumbsup:

I pressed the swaged studs out of the drums and hubs with a 20 ton press. Supported the back of the hub while pressing. Came right out, no damage to the hub. Pressed new lugs into the hub.

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but it's that time for me and I want to be sure the Lenox 5/8 hole saw will work on my 72 swedges before ordering.

Also, did you guys do this job on a drill press, or is a hand held drill good enough?

Haven't done it but bought 11/16 hole saw to go over studs. Think 5/8" to small, that's OD and with the tooth set makes it smaller. Drill I think is best, better leverage. Use cutting oil. MO.

I thought they cut very easy. I did not use a drill press, but did use oil

Finally did this job - it went surprisingly fast. You don't need to drill down more than an 1/8" before a sledge hammer can knock the hub out. Just be sure to put a board over the hub before pounding on it.

hub_recovery_01.JPG

hub_recovery_02.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back