• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Update update update!!!!!!

cr8crshr

Local time
10:33 AM
Reaction score
In about an hour I am going to be picking up my 727TF tranny from the shop after they have completely gone over it and fixed the problems caused by the first shop. I will give you all in a day or two what they found wrong and what was replaced and fixed. Let's just say that after all the $$$$'s spent on the first go around, the new $$$$$'s being spent should fix things up. But I will have to wait and see. Stay tuned....Tuck

Best of luck to you. With all the crap you have gone through on this car things have to be looking up by now!

Best of luck to you. With all the crap you have gone through on this car things have to be looking up by now!

As I told Tuck before he left. At least of this new motor knocks you should at least be able to drive it home with no problems. He laughed! We got it in, had a heck of a time getting the converter to fully seat, just need to hook up the lines and fill it.

Thanks Meep Meep. Well here is what we have. Seems the first place I had do the tranny did absolutely nothing when I had them overhaul it back in 2005. And I supplied all new parts for them as well. The second shop did the following:

1. Found that the Valve Body had the wrong Separator Plate in it. ??????? WTF???? They were having a tough time locating one or a suitable Valve Body to replace it with. So I decided to upgrade to a Turbo Action unit for automatic/manual shifting. This ride might once run down the track but for the most part it will be a cruiser. So a brand new Valve Body...I kept the old...in now in place.
2. Clutches were needed as the ones in there were very old. Again?????WTF????? I gave the first place all new Clutches the first time.
3. Bands needed replacing. That I am not sure about but the first invoice says they checked OK.
4. Installed a Heavy Duty 4 pinion Planetary gear set. That was supposed to have been done on the first overhaul.
5. Heli Coil the flex plate mounts for the Flex Plate. Seems I stripped them out. Don't know how but I got a kit and the did it for me.

After 500.00 plus the first overhaul and now approximately 700.00 for this over haul, plus the 285.00 for the Turbo Action Valve Body, the tranny costs for this project totaled 1485.00. I guess I could have purchased one that was a bolt on and go from one of the tranny Vendors out there, but I have been trying to build this on a budget. And as we all know, forget a budget as it never stays as one would like. So with the help of my Crew Chief Brother, Jon, aka 69a100 here on FBBO, we got the tranny back in and mounted and all linkage hooked up. Neutral Safety Switch wired, and the Torque Converter in place. That was a "BEAR to get set but it finally slipped into place and the correct distance was obtained per the FSM of 1/2 inch from Flex Plate Mounts to the edge of the Bell housing. Tomorrow a little Bench Racing and then either this weekend or during next week we will get the motor installed. Other than fluids, lubes, sealants, etc. small stuff, I am done spending any more on this project. If the tranny turns out as well as the work the shop did, and the new motor doesn't give me any fits, I just might pull this build off at exactly 8 years in progress. Also for you NorCal guys up in my neck of the State, you need a good reliable local Tranny Shop, then I strongly recommend Vacaville Transmissions on Davis Street in Vacaville. MOPAR motor heads and a buch of really super guys. Besides...They got a really cool Shop Dog. Kudos to Vacaville Transmissions. I didn't include any pics for you all on the tranny but the motor looks like this. First pic is the old one....Stay tuned for more UPDATES...Cr8crshr/Tuck

Attachments

• 027.jpg
    027.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 195
  • 026.jpg
    026.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 202
  • 024.jpg
    024.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 200
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 192
VV tranny has done 2 727's for me and now 2 for Bill. Out of 3 that we know were good builds with no problems, I gotta say that I think this one will be fine outside of the 500 mile followup check that this one may be done at 100 or so as it could be over a year or more to log that many miles.

cr8crshr/Tuck sorry to hear about your tranny problems, I sware, you seem to have the worst damn luck of anyone, I think, that I know... Good luck buddy, I wish you all the best of luck, you truly well deserve it...

sorry I'm really not trying to rub it in either...

Budnicks I know what ya mean my friend. No Worries at all. Sometimes I guess we bring events and occurrences upon ourselves. Yet I know that from the on set of this project, I was "BUILDING" a car. And I am!!!!!! So had it been a complete running car then I might not have had to do what I did. I mean I got it with no drive train, no drive shaft, shot wiring, just neglected and awaiting someone like me to save it. There is some truth...in fact a Hell of a lot of truth...in the saying, get the most fully operational car you can as when you start to cobble other parts to an existing roller, there will be curve balls. Where I have had a tough time is that out of all the money spent on this, the 2 most important pieces...engine and tranny...the work was contracted out. I got took on the tranny and I got took on the Engine. I kinda blame myself for the Engine issues as I was warned earlier to the workmanship that the shop, California Street Machines, had done for others and what problems they were and are capable of doing. They got a bad rep here in Solano County CA. But it still is in good faith when one contracts with another for work and that the work is the best and pricing is fair. With that being said I said to myself...just build your own Engine and be done with it. So this new one is basically all on me. But I have built quite a few BB Mopar Engines in my day and I do know a bit about how and why they go together a certain way. If one follows the "BOOK"...in this case the FSM and any related tech books and topics...then one cannot really go wrong. So I am one step close to this thing either being around to enjoy for a while or...??? Well I have already let my feelings known so I won't keep saying it like a Broken Record. Thanks for all encouragement out there. It does mean a lot to me. Those that have seen it live and in living color know I am going to have one sweet ride when it is finally put back together and running like a Mopar Muscle Car....Cr8crshr/Tuck

I don't think your bad luck was all your fault either, just a moment in time & people just not doing what they actually should have...LOL... I was being kind of a smart-alack mostly... kind of a lame attempt at humor at your expense.... we all learn from such moments too, I'm glad you shared yours with all us, it will help someone in the future...

congrats & all the best

20 odd years ago, California Street Machine was crappy. With the quality of work that they did, I'm amazed they are still in business. I tried buying rings from them (on a Friday night). Seven were .060 which was what I needed. One wasn't, and it was an open box. I hadn't even gotten back in my car when I noticed, and when I went back in, they wanted to give me store credit, instead if the cash I had just handed them...
Sorry to hear all your bad luck, at least now you know it should work fine.

20 odd years ago, California Street Machine was crappy. With the quality of work that they did, I'm amazed they are still in business. I tried buying rings from them (on a Friday night). Seven were .060 which was what I needed. One wasn't, and it was an open box. I hadn't even gotten back in my car when I noticed, and when I went back in, they wanted to give me store credit, instead if the cash I had just handed them...
Sorry to hear all your bad luck, at least now you know it should work fine.

Fast Forward 10 years and to my situation and you have the same type attitude that I received from them. They are now basically out of business all though they still are listed in the phone book as others in the 50 mile area are now doing Mopar work and at a better return rate. California Street Machines did such lousy work that my local NAPA Dealer has at least 2-3 blocks in their machine shop to correct the mistakes and F**K UPs that CSM has dumped out on the market. Just sad that I had to fall for their pitch and let them complete my engine build when I did. Still I am going forward with this project and hopefully this time it will be a success. But we will see....cr8crshr/Tuck

Auto Transport Service
Back