• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Updating the Super Street Mopar

Today I hosed down the seams with the inner frame coating from Eastwood. I cut the spray tip off the supplied wand as I didn't want the multiple direction spray, just straight. I put a brake clean extension in the wand, taped it together since it was loose. After the first spray down with the regular spray head, I put the modded wand unit on and hosed down the seams/overlaps etc. Wanted to make sure those inner areas had some protection prior the seam sealer application. Let it dry today since it was flooded with coating and tomorrow seam seal. I made sure there was some pieces of paper under the car to catch the drips and run off.

IMG_3648.jpeg

IMG_3649.jpeg

IMG_3650.jpeg

Today was seam sealer day. Next step will be extracting the lh tub after I remove undercoating/seam sealer etc from the work area.

IMG_3651.jpeg

IMG_3652.jpeg

IMG_3653.jpeg

IMG_3654.jpeg

IMG_3655.jpeg

IMG_3656.jpeg

Yesterday and today were spent removing the factory undercoating from the soon the be cut areas. Razor scraper, putty knife, screwdrivers [use them like chisels] and a dead blow hammer. To be continued over the next few days.

IMG_3658.jpeg

IMG_3659.jpeg

IMG_3660.jpeg

IMG_3661.jpeg

IMG_3662.jpeg

IMG_3663.jpeg

Today I removed the remainder from the future work areas. It dawned on me that I'm sculpting a metal car out of undercoating. Chipping away till metal shows up using screwdrivers and a dead blow hammer. Ha! I'll be putting my paper shields back up soon since I need to wire wheel some of these areas for cutting/drilling which will enable me to see the spot welds easier.

IMG_3670.jpeg

IMG_3671.jpeg

IMG_3672.jpeg

IMG_3673.jpeg

IMG_3674.jpeg

Yesterday I hit the initial cut areas with the wire wheel. After that it was spot weld drill time. I have a trio of CCP bits that were purchased off Amazon. The first one lasted quite awhile, used it on the other side, but it started getting dull so I pulled out the other two. They went tits up quickly. Whaddaya expect for $13? I bit the bullet and ordered a Blair brand, same as my broaches and will be waiting on that till mid week. Hope it rocks since it was $50 or so. After that I taped off the cut areas on the floor/rail and marked them out. Make some more chips soon.

IMG_3674.jpeg

IMG_3675.jpeg

IMG_3676.jpeg

IMG_3677.jpeg

IMG_3678.jpeg

I've read about people using those or the hot wrench method. Have torches but don't want to deal with the fumes and potential car-b-q. Needle unit may not get used after this so I figured I'll funnel my funds elsewhere.
Today I got the wheelhouse out.

IMG_3679.jpeg

IMG_3680.jpeg

IMG_3681.jpeg

IMG_3682.jpeg

Have some free time today so I'm going to be cutting spot welds. Starting with all these pieces on the tub.

IMG_3692.jpeg

IMG_3693.jpeg

IMG_3694.jpeg

I got the tub cleaned off today. After that I was up in the hole getting areas prepped for fitting of the tub and spacer. Lots of grinding grit on the floor and lift. Great job for the shop vac.

IMG_3704.jpeg

After doing some homeowner stuff today, I drilled a bunch of holes for upcoming spot welds and put the tub together with the spacer.

IMG_3709.jpeg

Today I spent some time fitting up the lh tub. Getting close to weld time. One area needed some trim time beforehand. The inner brace interfered with the new piece. Hit the brace with a wheel and cut some area from the tub spacer. I have it marked on the backside so it can get welded to the structure and not have a long unsecured portion.

IMG_3715.jpeg

IMG_3716.jpeg

IMG_3717.jpeg

IMG_3714.jpeg

The lh unit is in with some screws. Will continue fit work then pull it out to weld. Will weld floor to rail in places where it was cut and then get it ready for welding to car.

IMG_3718.jpeg

IMG_3719.jpeg

The lh tub got some welds today. Using the Vice Grip C style welding pliers, I tacked the pieces together. Moved the pliers two hole at a time to pull the pieces tight together, then remove and place on the next pair. When I had the tacks down I removed the screws and zipped them together. On the front portion I needed to add some material like on the rh side. If I didn't do that, there would be an unsecured area flapping in the breeze.

IMG_3720.jpeg

IMG_3721.jpeg

Today I secured the floor to the rails. Since the flange was cut off to enable the tub to be flush against the rail, there was no attachment of the floor to the rail in that area. Good to go now. Grind the welds down next.

IMG_3723.jpeg

IMG_3724.jpeg

IMG_3725.jpeg

IMG_3726.jpeg

Today I knocked the welds down on the rails then put the tub outside so I could hose the center seam down with frame coating prior to seam sealer application. Will let it cook the rest of the day outside so the coating can dry. I played it on very heavy from both sides to help ensure the inner crevices get protection.

IMG_3729.jpeg

IMG_3730.jpeg

Over the last few days I've gotten most of the lh tub in and welded. More to follow. In the third photo you can see a series of spot welds on the wheel side. Thats where I had to trim back the weld flange on the other side so it could get around the trunk hinge outer pillar. I notched the pillar some so there would be a little edge sliding up into it. I also was able to get in on the trunk side to put a few welds in that area to stitch it all together.

IMG_3734.jpeg

IMG_3735.jpeg

IMG_3736.jpeg

I've got the road side secured now. After I ran the vacuum to pull up the latest grit, I started making this first filler piece.

IMG_3739.jpeg

IMG_3740.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back