• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Updating the Super Street Mopar

Backing off the rockers is probably a good idea during long term storage…

Today I put the belt plates in place. Got them secured with some MIG tack welds. After that I bent up some pieces so I could get the floor attached to the SFC's.

IMG_4202.jpeg

IMG_4203.jpeg

IMG_4204.jpeg

My pedal unit showed up today, got it swapped out and now good to go. I'm doing a detour for my honey in the meantime. We found a 20's/30's vintage Kenmore wringer washer at an antique store where she was shopping for a Christmas present for her boss. She was thinking about the washer for the boss, put it outdoors with flowers in it etc. I squashed that thought since the tub is in awesome shape and said let's get it for us. Going to use it on the deck, filled up with ice and drinks for when we have company. The non enamel'd stand and wringer I'll spray with some DTM satin clear from KBS Coatings to protect the patina from the salt air. I checked into this stuff for use on my engine and will use it for this now too, but the washer first. I got most of the transmission apart, the motor off and need to figure out how to separate the tub from the stand. The upper part of the trans case is bolted to the stand from between the stand and tub.

IMG_4211.jpeg

IMG_4212.jpeg

IMG_4213.jpeg

IMG_4215.jpeg

IMG_4216.jpeg

IMG_4217.jpeg

IMG_4218.jpeg

IMG_4219.jpeg

I was successful at getting the tub separated from the stand. Next on the list will be cleaning, start off with some Easy Off oven cleaner followed by spray downs with purple cleaner. Initially I wanted to take the trans case off entirely but the shaft housing for the ringer is supported by it, the case is riveted not bolted to the stand plus I figured it would be wise to have some weight low to prevent it from being top heavy. This thing was made 2-7-36! And the motor was made by a division of GM.

IMG_4220.jpeg

IMG_4221.jpeg

IMG_4222.jpeg

IMG_4223.jpeg

IMG_4224.jpeg

IMG_4225.jpeg

IMG_4226.jpeg

After the appliance fun, it's back on the car. Got the belt plates secured.

IMG_4227.jpeg

IMG_4228.jpeg

IMG_4229.jpeg

Today I was able to get some of the old floor attached to the SFC's with the pieces I made. Took the flop right out.

IMG_4231.jpeg

IMG_4232.jpeg

IMG_4233.jpeg

Back to the old grind, lol, for the first part of the work today. Knocked down the welds from the latest sessions. After that, whipped out the suck o lux and did some clean up inside the car/lift/floor. I try to keep on top of that, especially since I sometimes kneel down and don't want to imbed shavings in my skin. From there I made patterns for the floor behind the seat, on the inside of the SFC. Transferred that to some 20ga after I hit it with Acetone. Cut the two pieces out, hammered the edges to take the curl out from the cutting with my Makita shear. The left overs got re-marked with a Sharpie denoting material size and put back into stock. Tomorrow I'll make some cuts and bend flanges after I do some bead rolls.
On all of my sheet stock, either steel or aluminum, I mark with a Sharpie what the gauge/thickness is so it's readily seen when needed. Cuts down on guessing.

IMG_4238.jpeg

IMG_4239.jpeg

IMG_4240.jpeg

IMG_4241.jpeg

Really wish i had thought of belt mounts before i started putting mine back together

It had them, but with the changes I made to the floor I couldn't re-use the ones I took out. Plus now it's 3"X9" as opposed to 3"X4". Much larger contact area. Want the old ones?

It had them, but with the changes I made to the floor I couldn't re-use the ones I took out. Plus now it's 3"X9" as opposed to 3"X4". Much larger contact area. Want the old ones?

Naw, will make some up.. just annoyed i didn't even think of it before putting carpet in. Luckily nothing else put back in yet so only wasted a few minutes :) I'm bad at planning ahead

My neighbor took the RR iron piece to a bandsaw and now I have a small anvil which can be clamped in the vise. I got the lh piece for the floor cut, trimmed, bent, holes for welds drilled, de-burred. They are both basting in Ospho. Will get them in and welded next week.

IMG_4254.jpeg

IMG_4255.jpeg

IMG_4256.jpeg

Today I was able to get most of the welding done on the two new pieces. Continue tomorrow.

IMG_4263.jpeg

IMG_4265.jpeg

Today I got my bandsaw going after swapping the blade out, had a wood one, now metal cutting. I had to read up about the adjustments, so good to go now. I made up a couple of templates for the old HVAC plenum intake on the rh side cowl, transferred those to a piece of 12ga and cut it out on the saw. Finished it off with the flap wheel. This piece will cap off the big hole on the plenum, since the new systems run on recirc and don't use outside air, plus I'll put 4 holes in it for the HVAC plumbing lines. I made another template for the bulkhead unit up high by the stiffener tube and popped 4 holes in there. After that I started working on the next floor piece. I cut out the section over the t-bar x-member. With that piece out of the way I can finish some welding that I couldn't access before.

IMG_4270.jpeg

IMG_4271.jpeg

IMG_4272.jpeg

IMG_4273.jpeg

IMG_4274.jpeg

Back at it today. I have a new set of step/uni bits so I enlarged three of the holes in the cowl for the bulkhead unit. Good to go there for now. On the plenum block off/hose pass through plate, I marked on the templates where the existing holes are in the side cowl then transferred those to the plate and drilled the six mount holes. On the cowl holes, they got opened up for 1/4" nutserts. I put some chassis rust blocker on each insert then set them in place. Scuffed up the plate after acetone wipe down then hit it with Ospho. Done for the day.

IMG_4296.jpeg

IMG_4297.jpeg

IMG_4298.jpeg

IMG_4299.jpeg

Before I covered up the exposed inner area of the t-bar x, I added a couple more pieces in to give the new hoop a stronger connection to the unit and give the other end a better connection to the SFC. After that I made a template and cut out a piece of 20ga for the next section to fill.

IMG_4308.jpeg

IMG_4309.jpeg

IMG_4311.jpeg

Today I trimmed the fill piece some for better fit and bent some 90's up to connect the old floor to the SFC. I did some hammer and dolly to flatten out the original contours, you can compare to the other side, then got paint etc off the soon to be welded areas. Punched in some spot weld holes, de-burred the pieces so they are ready for welding in tomorrow.

IMG_4312.jpeg

IMG_4313.jpeg

IMG_4314.jpeg

IMG_4315.jpeg

IMG_4316.jpeg

IMG_4317.jpeg

IMG_4318.jpeg

IMG_4319.jpeg

IMG_4320.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back