• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Updating the Super Street Mopar

Today after taking care of some appliance maintenance, I got further on the filter base. I made up a hold down unit for the throttle body to the base, got it welded on. From there I made a pattern, cut out some material for the next piece to the base, got it formed up and with just a little tweaking I'll get it tacked on tomorrow. From there the next piece.

IMG_4896.jpeg

IMG_4897.jpeg

IMG_4898.jpeg

Today I got the 2nd piece fitted/tweaked pretty good then tacked it into place. From there made a pattern for the next one, cut it out, filed it down, started getting it into shape. Almost there. Where I marked on the base, I'll need to make a blister so that the base will clear the cable bracket.

IMG_4902.jpeg

IMG_4903.jpeg

IMG_4904.jpeg

IMG_4905.jpeg

IMG_4906.jpeg

Today I was able to get the latest piece fitted up pretty good so I tacked it in place. After that I trimmed down the top edge of the first piece that was tacked, pulled it into place a little better and got it tacked in. Once it all looked groovy, I started welding fully. Will continue tomorrow.

IMG_4910.jpeg

IMG_4912.jpeg

IMG_4913.jpeg

IMG_4914.jpeg

IMG_4915.jpeg

I had to have a guy TIG weld the air cleaner base for my MP air cleaner....

CAA 9.jpg

He took two bases to make one, the original MP base and an aftermarket 14" base with a deeper drop.
If I knew how to TIG weld, I'd make a few just to have spares.

Well, since you're retired...see if the local JC offers welding classes. My wife wanted to learn how to weld about 8 years ago. The base class was stick, wire and tig. I signed up too as I wanted wire, have learned that on my own over time and for sure wanted tig as it was not as easy as I hoped. Stick I did back in high school, can do it, have no machine or use for it. Wire unit and tig I have both. Getting the formal wire was very helpful but the tig is what I really wanted. The next semester I did tig only. It's not hard once you get the hang of both hands being busy plus one foot on the pedal. Some days my tig work looks awesome, others like I'm just beginning. For me I need to do it consistently to have it look good. Some of my fellow students had never used a tig before, like me, but in that second class their welds looked robotic. I asked them if they slept with that thing. Damn kids! Add in the various metals you can weld, all different techniques/settings etc. Tig is easier on thin stuff too since you can control the amps through the pedal. Like your gas pedal. Wire is harder to do on thin, for me at least. My unit gives me grief on 20ga and thinner. It says I can do 24ga but no. When I can swing it, I'm upgrading both units. If your eyes need more light to see what you are working on, same goes with helmet choice. Some units filter out too much of the light as I found out. Couldn't see the weld pool good enough causing overheating of the weld. A better helmet took care of that.

After the Morro Bay show today I laid down some more welds on the base. Almost done with the center area.

IMG_4920.jpeg

Before I ran out of Argon, I was able to finish welding the base. After that I whipped out the Vixen file to start dressing some of the welds down.

IMG_4926.jpeg

IMG_4930.jpeg

IMG_4931.jpeg

IMG_4932.jpeg

IMG_4933.jpeg

Did some more filing and trimming on the base. I put a hole in to give me a starting point for the blister over the cable bracket and it looks like all I need to do is just weld a small cover over the hole. I popped a hole in near it for the fresh air intake portion of the crankcase vent system. I was going to put it on the other side but it looked like it would interfere with the IAC connection.

IMG_4934.jpeg

IMG_4935.jpeg

IMG_4936.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back