• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Upper windshield trim fitment

INTMD8

Local time
11:18 AM
Reaction score
Hello,

My upper windshield trim seems to -not- have enough curvature at the ends. Has anyone had this issue? I was thinking I might be able to bend more curvature into the trim and re-install. Any thoughts? Thanks

IMG_2550.jpg
IMG_2551.jpg
IMG_2552.jpg

Is your glass seal locked in place? That might change how it fits.

I don't think it was in all the way but I'll have to take another look. Took me forever to remove the upper trim piece last night.

I don't think it was in all the way but I'll have to take another look. Took me forever to remove the upper trim piece last night.
For some reason it does not look locked in. If the strip can not lay down along the top it might be making it want to curl that way. It might be the camera doing that but it does not look to be laying down it looks like it is sitting high along the top.

I believe it's original. I had 2 of them that came with the car and they appeared old and weathered and I had them all polished.

I believe it's original. I had 2 of them that came with the car and they appeared old and weathered and I had them all polished.
Pretty sure when I put all my trim on that the top did not look right until I got in all seated and locked in place. As long as you have all the right clips and on the factory studs you should be good.

Ok good. I purchased aftermarket stuff for my 68 and ended up throwing them in the trash. Good luck. Nice color on the car.

pnora you were correct, the top of the windshield gasket was not locked in. Thanks!

That also explains why I had such a hard time getting a tool in there to release the clips. I have blisters on my thumbs :p

It still does not fit perfect as in, more curvature on the roof itself than the trim at the ends but overall much better. Especially as it sits flush across the top now whereas it was proud of the roof edge before.

From removal I-

-Locked in the gasket

-Polished the trim

-Bent retaining clips tighter

-Installed trim

-Polished paint around windshield and cowl.

IMG_2553.jpg
IMG_2554.jpg
IMG_2555.jpg
IMG_2556.jpg
IMG_2557.jpg
IMG_2558.jpg

pnora you were correct, the top of the windshield gasket was not locked in. Thanks!

That also explains why I had such a hard time getting a tool in there to release the clips. I have blisters on my thumbs :p

It still does not fit perfect as in, more curvature on the roof itself than the trim at the ends but overall much better. Especially as it sits flush across the top now whereas it was proud of the roof edge before.

From removal I-

-Locked in the gasket

-Polished the trim

-Bent retaining clips tighter

-Installed trim

-Polished paint around windshield and cowl.

View attachment 1458398View attachment 1458399View attachment 1458400View attachment 1458402View attachment 1458403View attachment 1458404
Much better.

Hmm, I have my side trim pieces slid down lower so they sit more flush. May be able to get the corners up but then the top corners of the side trim pieces would be a bit proud of the a-pillar like yours.

Maybe that's the remaining part of my issue, thanks.

Hmm, I have my side trim pieces slid down lower so they sit more flush. May be able to get the corners up but then the top corners of the side trim pieces would be a bit proud of the a-pillar like yours.

Is your car B7 ?

Yours look good now. They look close to what mine look like. One has to remember the so called factory fit of just about everything back in the day left a lot to be desired.

Yours look good now. They look close to what mine look like. One has to remember the so called factory fit of just about everything back in the day left a lot to be desired.

Thanks. I guess I could pie cut/weld the trim and file/polish but that's a ton of work so don't think it would be worth the effort.

Despite the non perfect corners I'm still much happier with it sitting flat and the gasket locked in.

Or I could mix up a batch of B7 caulk and fill in the corners :p

Auto Transport Service
Back