• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Use Sure Grip Fluid

the more it stinks the better it is
Are we still talking about diff oil here?
I'm heading out tomorrow to collect some Redline oil with friction modifier built in.
Apparently my new sure-grip unit is really aggressive...like super angry. Looking forward to making some black marks on the road. :D

I always just used the mopar friction modifier and was happy with it .. no issues my dealers around me stock it for pick ups and LC/LX cars. Even my buddies mom and pop place carries all three brands. Take your pick, I do also recommend every so often changing the rear diff gear oil ... it’s cheap and keeps bearings and gears happy..IMO

Are we still talking about diff oil here?
I'm heading out tomorrow to collect some Redline oil with friction modifier built in.
Apparently my new sure-grip unit is really aggressive...like super angry. Looking forward to making some black marks on the road. :D
Picked up 4 x quarts of Redline yesterday for my new build ...plus a little extra booster if required

20201103_081917.jpg

You can get limited slip additive at almost any parts store now.

Name brands like Castrol.

I am putting a suregrip in my wife's wagon. It's the first time I ever saw the little aluminum tag that says "Use Sure Grip Fluid". Is there really any difference than standard gear oil or should I use something else?
You are lucky that the little tag was still there. If you didn't know that a limited slip requires different fluid then you would've been in for an unpleasant surprise. Do you have an owners manual and a service manual for your car?

You are lucky that the little tag was still there. If you didn't know that a limited slip requires different fluid then you would've been in for an unpleasant surprise. Do you have an owners manual and a service manual for your car?
Yes but the rear end is from a 68 Roadrunner. I picked up a bottle of the Motorcraft stuff. All should be good now.

I don't know if the rearends in my cars are suregrip or not, I should know that but don't. I will check them since it is very easy. Question is, is there a reason you should NOT put friction modifier in if they are not suregrip other than just a waste of a few dollars?

Toss in a bottle , it wont hurt anything in an open dif

I was installing a used sure grip chunk and did an internet search for additives. Saw that some people use STP additive, I tried it, and it worked. Cheap and readily available.
My 2000 Durango with a TracLok started chattering at 25k miles and after cleaning out the gunk in the rear and adding fresh oil along with the Ferd additive, it started chattering again less than 5k miles. At least no gunk this time but along with new oil again, a bottle of STP went in and it's been quiet ever since.....well, up until 100k miles and that's when the wife left :)

On my Dana 70 with the clutch type SG, the STP helped some but there's still some chatter so got to dump the oil and start over. News at 11....

Last edited:
Simply do a burnout.

You'll know.

Auto Transport Service
Back