• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Using the best coolant?

GM cannot produce a "closed system". The intake gaskets leak within a few hours after installation. They even tried the crushed walnut sealers for the cooling system and that does not work.
You are correct when deathcool is exposed to air it turns into a red mud.

Last edited:
You guys are way, way, way, way, waaaaay overthinking this! Any dissimilar metals in a fluid will eventually produce a voltage that leads to electrolysis. Yes, some coolants may have better inhibitors than others, but if you swap coolant every 24 months it really doesn't matter what brand/type you use. Even plain water changed out every 24 months will keep electrolysis at bay. Yes you will have oxidation with plain water, but the aluminum contributor is not an issue.
If you really truly want the best coolant, then go by your local Honda dealer and pay $57 a gallon for the Honda Gold coolant. I have friends with >100K miles on their Honda's and the factory fill coolant has not been changed.
On the other hand, I have had 3 Grand Marquis automobiles travel >200K miles without a head gasket, heater core, or other issues (exception is the water pump) and I use O'Rielly green conventional and change it out every 24 months. The Road Runner gets the same treatment although 24 months is about 6K miles for that car.

GM cannot produce a "closed system". The intake gaskets leak within a few hours after installation. They even tried the crushed walnut sealers for the cooling system and that does not work.
You are correct when deathcool is exposed to air it turns into a red mud.

Tell me about it. People say death cool gets a bad rap but from personal experience it did more harm than good. I bought my 97 Camaro Z vert new from the dealership and had all of the service done on it. At about 40K the car overheated because the radiator was sludged up. Happened again at 65K. Ever since then I do the maintenance myself and I use the green stuff. At 130K no cooling issues since then...

After finding this thread the other day and deciding to stick with an original green formula, I pulled up some spec sheets. Peak green and Valvoline Zerox original green were the only 2 that mentioned being compatible with aluminum, although I am sure others are but just not listed as such. Ended up going to all the parts houses around here as well as checking at Walmart and Sams Club. Can't believe that original green concentrate is not available anywhere around here. Finally found a decent price on some on the web. Free shipping with a $75 purchase, so I ordered up 7 gallons. I will replace it every couple of years and should be good to go.
https://www.zoro.com/zerex-antifree...nsactional_None_All_None_1&smtrctid=132082577

I have had 7 cars with Dex-Cool. Most went well over 100K. Never had a problem.
Dex-Cool gelling when in contact with air is one of the most ridiculous internet myths I've ever heard of.

I can't believe Evans is still around ! They tried to convince the liquid cooled aviation world that they were the best thing since sliced bread, some 20 years ago, and I know NOBODY that runs that **** anymore.

I run Evans and love it! 11.5:1 680ish Hp, street driven on 100 deg days never hotter then 176-180 ever!!!! No pressure in system and no corrosion, what else would you want? Yea it's a bit pricey and hard to install in a car that already had water in it but on a fresh engine you couldn't pay me enough to switch back... The inside of my radiator looks exactly like the day I installed it.

Auto Transport Service
Back