• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vacuum Line Confusion, 71 with A/C

Archie340

Local time
9:16 AM
Reaction score
In the process of completing the installation of my heater box for my 71. I have made all the connections at the box but am trying to figure out where the green hose connects in the engine compartment. Maybe between the water valve and engine vacuum source? Unfortunately for me the lines were disconnected a long time ago. If anyone whould happen to have a diagram or be willing to trace the line for me, I would be most appreciative!

I thought I had one but can't locate it. If you haven't already, I went to google images and typed in "1971 dodge charger vacuum line diagram" and a huge assortment of pics came up. Hopefully one or more can help you out

Rather than post a bunch that weren't the one(s) you may or may not need. I figured giving you the info might be better.

Hope it helps. If I should find the diagram(s). I'll post it up.

Good luck.

Vac hose lines.jpgAs best as I could determine the green tracer line is the vacuum supply line. It feeds off the vacuum tee on the intake manifold and is spliced to another line
with a connector that runs through the pass side firewall to the vacuum tee. The other hose connects to the top of the heater hose valve. I believe white lines are for A/C operation,red lines are for heat and the yellow lines open and close the doors in the box. Here is the only diagram I could find.

Vac hose lines.jpg

Thanks guys, I do appreciate it. I've tried to google a diagram but haven't been able to find a diagram that spells it out for me. bee71, I think your'e on the right track. I'm with you regarding the green striped line connecting at the eng vacuum and water (heater hose) valve. I guess my next question is where does the green line tie back in at the box? Gotta love a mystery Lol!!

One line at the pass side connects to the heater valve it is not the green one. There should be two lines going through the pass side firewall grommet, one to the heater valve and the other is the vac supply [green]. A straight connector from the vacuum tee line connects with the green line that then leads to the main connector.

This is the correct ’71 B-body A/C vacuum line diagram. Includes a vacuum reservoir located under the battery tray. The smaller of the two lines entering the engine compartment, system supply line, ran to the reservoir with another line running up to the manifold vacuum fitting at the rear of the manifold.
71B-bodyACdiagram.jpg

71B-bodyACpic.jpg

DSC00800re.jpg

Thanks very much, I do much better with pictures!!

71 charger vacuum line

Hi! I was reading through some threads you had about the vacuum line routing for the 71 charger with A/C (with the canister under the battery) --- that was a very helpful discussion. I think from the posts that I know what lines are needed --- but I am not sure where the lines go through the fire-wall --- is is all the way over by the fan in the passenger side? with a grommet? Thanks for any info or picture!

Thanks very much, I do much better with pictures!!

Yup.One line goes to the heat control valve the other snakes along the firewall to the vacuum canister. I have seen cars where there is no vacuum canister go all the way over the front fender well, use a black splice fitting and feed back to the manifold tee.

Glad to see this post was useful to others. Running of the lines was pretty confusing to me but I think mine are good now, good luck!

The reservoir supplies the HVAC syst.,so its manifold vac.fitting to reservoir,reservoir to HVAC syst,HVAC line back to hot water control,2 hoses passing through FW.

Auto Transport Service
Back