• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vacuum port issue with 6.1 swap into a 68 Charger

Sixpactogo

Local time
11:45 AM
Reaction score
The 6.1 I have has a single 3/8" nipple in the intake manifold for vacuum. I need a couple extra ports for the headlight vacuum and the heater a/c vacuum controls. I have been thinking of drilling out the factory nipple and tapping it for threaded multi port.
I don't much care for the alternative of splicing into the hose to the power brake booster. What are you guys doing to accomplish this.

Here is a pic of the pressed in single nipple. 100_6851.jpg

I would do what you already thought of. Drill and tap or for a vacuum tree

- - - Updated - - -

There's other ports behind the throttle body you could use

Other ports behind the Throttle body? How are they accessed? Guess I need to look closer

I don't think the front ports will work like you want. The elbow goes to the pcv on the bottom right of the tb, and the one on the left goes to the elbow off the oil fill stand off. I'm not sure that there would be enough vacuum there.

The one on top should be the pcv. The one on the right would go to the purge valve. Are you using a purge valve? That has the same amount of vacuum as the port in the back. Or pcv for that matter. But yeah, leave the pcv port for the valve.

Yeah, I am aware of both of those vacuum ports. I am using a catch can on the PVC side and also the purge valve. What I need are a couple of smaller ports for my AC / heater box. 1/16" port and 3/16" for the headlight canister. I guess I will drill out the 3/8 tube in the back and thread it for the multi port nipple. Thanks for the input guys.

You could drill and tap it in another location, or even flip it over and do it from the bottom to hide it.

Rebel, I think that is a good ideal. I probably will need to find a different spot. The 3/8" port in the back is real close to the bottom. I would not have much material left by the time I enlarged it for a pipe tap. Guess I need to stare at it some more.

they make booster check valves with extra small nipple on the valve for just this purpose

I stared at it long enough. Decided to drill out the single port and tap for the multi port tree. I was worried about not having enough material on the bottom of the hole but it worked out. Uglied it up a bit but I need it to function more than I need pretty. Here is the end result.100_6861.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Here are some pics of the Engine & trans ready for the body to come home from the body shop. In addition to the vacuum tree, I needed to add the senders for my oil pressure gauge and temperature gauge.100_6855.jpg100_6856.jpg100_6857.jpg100_6858.jpg100_6859.jpg100_6860.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back