• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Valve angle issue

Moose440

Local time
2:33 PM
Reaction score
Hey guys need some help I have a 440 stealth heads 3/8 rods 1.6 rockers 564 comp cam 10.5-1 compression. My question is on the passenger side of the block I get a bit of lifter tick. Everything looks fine. One thing im not sure if it’s strange but you can push and move the passenger side rockers. There’s a bit of an angle where the cup of the push rod is. To where the bottom of the adjuster is on the rocker. The other thing is it was like that even before I built the motor. It did the same thing with the iron head I had. I did reuse the rockers from the old set up but that’s it. Any ideas have you seen this before??

Basically...... gonna need pics.

But, if I’m understanding you right...... sounds like the pushrods are too long.

Also, Stealth heads usually need a little clearancing to use 3/8” pushrods.

HI is the ticking there all the time of does it come and go as the motor warms up? The reason I ask is an exhaust manifold to head gasket leak can sound like a ticking lifter but well go away when the motor heats up..
good luck take care be safe
tim

One thing im not sure if it’s strange but you can push and move the passenger side rockers.

I assume you mean you can move the rockers sideways, there should be a minimal clearance only, like .010" - .015" or so.
If this is more you can use shims to take out the excessive clearance.
This could cause some noise i guess, but the source of the ticking noise can be a lifter also.
As PRHeads said, some pictures will help to get a better idea.

It dose start when the car is warm almost like an exhaust leak but I thought that as well and put remflex gaskets on and it still dose it. Like when the oil gets thin after heating up u hear it a bit

I would agree but on the driver side there fine. Straight up and down. It’s strange. And yes the heads have been clearances for the rods

No I mean where the push rod meets the rocker I’m going to take some pictures on sunday

The push rod can be pushed downwards?
Normally a hydraulic lifter will be "solid" as it is filled with oil, but will bleed off over time when pushed on.
If the ticking sound get louder when the engine warms up there could be something to do with the oil bleeding off too fast in one or more lifters
Did you install new hydraulic lifters? Assuming you are using them...
If there is a difference in angle between rocker adjuster and pushrods compared to driver and passenger side there will be different pre-loads used or different length pushrods.
Depending on several factors, but in general there is always some angle between pushrod and adjuster screw but they should all be the same relative to the valve position.
Check the lengths of the adjuster screw sticking out above the rocker, they should all be similar but if there is an obvious difference in length between driver and passenger side this could be due to different pre-load settings.

The push rod can be pushed downwards?
Normally a hydraulic lifter will be "solid" as it is filled with oil, but will bleed off over time when pushed on.
If the ticking sound get louder when the engine warms up there could be something to do with the oil bleeding off too fast in one or more lifters
Did you install new hydraulic lifters? Assuming you are using them...
If there is a difference in angle between rocker adjuster and pushrods compared to driver and passenger side there will be different pre-loads used or different length pushrods.
Depending on several factors, but in general there is always some angle between pushrod and adjuster screw but they should all be the same relative to the valve position.
Check the lengths of the adjuster screw sticking out above the rocker, they should all be similar but if there is an obvious difference in length between driver and passenger side this could be due to different pre-load settings.
So the driver side head has one turn preload on it and is fine. The passenger has 2 turns on it because the angle of where the rocker meets the the push rod. Why would I need different size push rods on just the passenger side head that dosent sound right. It almost looks like the valve and spring need to go down a little bit to get the geometry right so there straight up and down. I already replaced the hydraulic lifters with a set of comp lifters that where nos from 2008. And it still makes some sound on the passenger side. I was looking at them and there’s no signs of wear. Also this motor was built last summer. But when I had the old set up with iron heads it did the same thing. If you push on the top of the rocker where the adjuster is it will move and you can see the push rod bending where the adjuster and top of the rod are. Like to much angle. If any of this helps.

When the engine was build the valve seats were done also? A thing to do after that is to ensure all valve stems are equal height.
They could be uneven or push rods are too long as PRHeads already mentioned.
I fear you are at some extreme angles, which could cause failure.
Will wait for your pictures so we can have a better idea of how to help you out.

When the engine was build the valve seats were done also? A thing to do after that is to ensure all valve stems are equal height.
They could be uneven or push rods are too long as PRHeads already mentioned.
I fear you are at some extreme angles, which could cause failure.
Will wait for your pictures so we can have a better idea of how to help you out.
No there 440 source heads but the builder said everything looked good. But it also had this issue with the iron 915s I had on it prior. And the only reason I don’t think it’s the rods is because the driver side head is fine. The angle is off just a bit I will have pics hopefully when I get some time after work tm

There could be an oiling issue on one or more lifter bores being worn, causing lack of oil pressure.
If lifters and heads have been replaced as you mentioned and still ticks it can only be related to the engine block.
I am not saying it is ok to run 2 different sizes pushrods, off course they all should all be same length.
But since you mentioned the angle is so far off that you can move the rocker by hand and the requirement to run an extra turn of pre load to get it seated better has me worried.
See mine when i worked on the rocker geometry, at the closed and full lift position.
Many combinations can result in many different angles, but this is where it should be.

IMG_4194.jpg IMG_4193.jpg

There could be an oiling issue on one or more lifter bores being worn, causing lack of oil pressure.
If lifters and heads have been replaced as you mentioned and still ticks it can only be related to the engine block.
I am not saying it is ok to run 2 different sizes pushrods, off course they all should all be same length.
But since you mentioned the angle is so far off that you can move the rocker by hand and the requirement to run an extra turn of pre load to get it seated better has me worried.
See mine when i worked on the rocker geometry, at the closed and full lift position.
Many combinations can result in many different angles, but this is where it should be.

View attachment 1283710 View attachment 1283711
I’m doing pics on Sunday but see how the angle is on your rod to rock on your valve open. That’s kinda what I got going on when closed.

I’m doing pics on Sunday but see how the angle is on your rod to rock on your valve open. That’s kinda what I got going on when closed.
Also I’m running a 1.6. Ratio. But like I said the driver side is dead on fine

Auto Transport Service
Back