• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Valve lash 69 RR with a medium build roller cam, rockers etc.

mpro69rr

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:06 AM
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I have a brand new 383 that is getting to 500 miles and finishing the break in period. Should I have the valve lash redone after break in? Should they ever be redone?

Thanks in advanced,
mpro69rr

Are they adjustable? Hydraulic or Solid? Should they be done. Yes.

With a roller, you are (hopefully) going to see very little if any difference after break-in, but you should still check the lash.

Hey Guys,

I have a brand new 383 that is getting to 500 miles and finishing the break in period. Should I have the valve lash redone after break in? Should they ever be redone?

Thanks in advanced,
mpro69rr
I think you should always check valve lash at some interval as in example yearly as a preventative check of the pushrods,rollers and valve seats etc.

Hydraulic, not sure on the adjustable.
Well not knowing that pretty much makes your question mute. So you need to look at your build sheet, ask the builder, or pull a valve cover.

If it’s the OE shaft stamped rockers, there’s nothing to do. Change the oil, cut the filter, check that out. Open the valve covers if you want. If it’s a stock build and it’s quiet keep driving it.

In post #5 you state they are hydraulic and not sure if rockers are adjustable. Hydraulic lifters, roller or flat tappet, do not need adjustment once initial "pre-load" has been set. Obviously you did not build nor set them originally. Is it "possible" for adjustable rockers to come out of adjustable, lock nut back off, yes. Likely, if done correctly, no.

In post #5 you state they are hydraulic and not sure if rockers are adjustable. Hydraulic lifters, roller or flat tappet, do not need adjustment once initial "pre-load" has been set. Obviously you did not build nor set them originally. Is it "possible" for adjustable rockers to come out of adjustable, lock nut back off, yes. Likely, if done correctly, no.

Agreed. If preload was set correctly to begin with, no need to do anything.

Hey Guys,

Thanks in advanced,
mpro69rr
No lash with a hydraulic cam. There is a preload.

Auto Transport Service
Back