• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Valve Spring Recommendation

Darrah

Local time
1:02 PM
Reaction score
I'm finally getting my 528 hemi ready for install (hopefully this winter) and have decided to replace the valve springs. The engine has been sitting assembled almost 20 years, so I figure it's cheap insurance.

The engine build sheet lists the installed springs as EWK 960-16, which I can't seem to reference anywhere. It's a Comp Cams solid lifter 4877B/4878B cam and the assembly sheet reads the following:
Valve lift: .617/.606
Rocker ratio: 1.57/1.52
Installed height: 1.935
Coil bind: 1.185
Seat pressure: 195 lbs
Maximum lift: 690

Any suggestions for a comparable spring? If I need to supply more info, I can look through my paperwork and do so. Thanks.

Last edited:
I'm finally getting my 528 hemi ready for install (hopefully this winter) and have decided to replace the valve springs. The engine has been sitting assembled almost 20 years, so I figure it's cheap insurance.

The engine build sheet lists the installed springs as EWK 960-16, which I can't seem to reference anywhere. It's a Comp Cams solid lifter 4877B/4878B cam and the assembly sheet reads the following:
Valve lift: .617/.606
Rocker ratio: 1.57/1.52
Installed height: 1.935
Coil bind: 1.185
Seat pressure: 195 lbs
Maximum lift: 690

Any suggestions for a comparable spring? If I need to supply more info, I can look through my paperwork and do so. Thanks.
Call Comp.
Mike

960-16 sure sounds like a Comp Cam number. It could be an older number that's been changed. What heads do you have? That could be the difference in finding them as they could be unique to the company making the heads.

960-16 sure sounds like a Comp Cam number. It could be an older number that's been changed. What heads do you have? That could be the difference in finding them as they could be unique to the company making the heads.
They're MPP heads from back before Edelbrock made them. PN 4529336. Engine builder bought them as a bare head rather than pre-assembled. Looks like they take all factory valvetrain.

There isn’t enough data to be able to select a truly “comparable” spring(no open height/pressure, no physical dimensions).

But for those cam lobes, in a street/strip application not looking for real high rpm(6500 max), an Isky 9315 would provide very similar seat pressure at that height.

No idea how it would fit the current retainers and/or spring cups though.

There isn’t enough data to be able to select a truly “comparable” spring(no open height/pressure, no physical dimensions).

But for those cam lobes, in a street/strip application not looking for real high rpm(6500 max), an Isky 9315 would provide very similar seat pressure at that height.

Ever hear of EWK springs? the 960-16 sounds like a Comp Cam number.

Ever hear of EWK springs? the 960-16 sounds like a Comp Cam number.
I agree, and I've tried to reach out to them for information. Unfortunately like most places these days, they've not gotten back to me.

The retainers are Comp Cams 732-16. I don't see anything listed for spring cups.

I'll probably remove a spring this weekend to get physical measurements, but don't have the tool to measure spring pressure.

I agree, and I've tried to reach out to them for information. Unfortunately like most places these days, they've not gotten back to me.

The retainers are Comp Cams 732-16. I don't see anything listed for spring cups.

I'll probably remove a spring this weekend to get physical measurements, but don't have the tool to measure spring pressure.
Its funny EWK is a company and at this time specializes in special engine tools. A lot are for valve train work. No engine parts now but who knows back then.

Last edited:
If the heads are bare & you need retainers as well, consider beehive or conical springs which require less spring tension & rate, less load on the valve train.
On Speed Talk, there is a BBC with 2.350" intake valves running to 7000+ rpm with 27 psi of boost. Another engine running 8000 rpm; both using conical springs.

Got a chance to pull a spring and get measurements. Accurate to within a few thousandths; only had my cheap calipers available.

Height- 2.450"
Outer Spring OD- 1.540"
Outer Spring ID- 1.130"
Inner Spring OD- 1.005
Inner Spring ID- 0.725"
Retainer Inner Step- 0.710"
Retainer Outer Step- 1.110"
Spring Seat ID- 1.560

Unfortunately I don't have a way to measure pressures. Still hoping I get a response from Comp, but nothing yet.

Auto Transport Service
Back