• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Valve Springs

Local time
12:54 AM
Reaction score
Can I get away with using stock valve springs with a 472 lift cam? I'm temporarily going to run a set of 906 heads with this cam. I don't really want to change valve springs, retainers ,seals ect if I don't have to.

20230713_190112.jpg

20230713_190055.jpg

Screenshot_20230709_155843_Chrome~2.jpg

What does Erson recommend?

That's not a lot more lift than a stock magnum cam, and a 2H has nice slow ramps. If the springs are in good shape, I'd try em.
Might be worth your time to pull a few and get them tested for pressure.
And since you don't know if they are strong enough, plan on keeping max revs to a practical maximum, maybe 5000? And ALWAYS check for clearance from retainer to guide/stem seals.

I have found BB heads that have mileage on them often have the two centre exh springs down on pressure. Because of the heat from the exh ports, they will often be noticeably shorter than int springs from loss of tension. You should remove & test.

the stock red magnum springs will coil bind around 1.35". i wouldn't run them with that cam but you can check installed height plus the .472 to see where you're at with 1.35" measurement. and, don't believe the 1.38 rocker ratio garbage for stock rockers. they are at 1.5 or very close.

Auto Transport Service
Back