• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Valve stem seals with dual valve springs...

64SF

Local time
5:27 PM
Reaction score
I recently purchased a 69 Dart which has a 383 with 346 head castings.
A previous owner installed a Comp Cam part number 21-222-4, CRB XE262H-10 along with a set of dual valve springs (with a damper).
I wanted to install new stem seals (while I had the heads off) but found the stock seals in the FEL-PRO gasket kit will not work with the dual springs.
When I removed the spring from the valve there appeared to be a small O-ring used as a seal.
My question is....is the 0 ring the type of seal used with dual springs and is there any other type of seal that can be used.
The "bosses" where the stem seal would normally be installed do not appear to have any machine work done.
Any thoughts, comments or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

The dual springs doesn't sound good with the small cam. Have you looked at what the recommended spring is?

The dual springs doesn't sound good with the small cam. Have you looked at what the recommended spring is?
After I posted the question I went to the Summit Site and found the recommended springs for the cam....you're correct. They recommended springs for the cam is a single spring....thanks.

After I posted the question I went to the Summit Site and found the recommended springs for the cam....you're correct. They recommended springs for the cam is a single spring....thanks.
You're likely going to have to use the same or similar seal even after changing the springs because the guides have probably been machined. Besides, the "umbrella" type seals are junk anyway.

You're likely going to have to use the same or similar seal even after changing the springs because the guides have probably been machined. Besides, the "umbrella" type seals are junk anyway.
Here's a photo of the valve "towers?" don't appear to be machined...
IMG_0118.jpeg

Just one last question regarding valve springs/valve stem seals.

As mentioned above (post #1) a previous owner had installed dual valve springs on the heads. From information from the fellow I purchased the car from he had removed a solid lifter cam and replaced it with the hydraulic Comp Cam XE262H-10 along with new lifters but didn't change the valve spring to the suggested single springs.

I found the "specs" for the recommended springs Comp Cam 911-16 and compared them to the outer springs of the ones currently installed on the heads and they are nearly identical. I'm wondering if removing the inner spring would the outer springs would work and save me the cost of a new set of springs. The car will be a street/cruiser no racing planned.

Thanks...

If you were to check the seat and open pressures on a spring tester you would get a definitive answer. A quick trip to a local engine builder - tell him what you want to do.

Auto Transport Service
Back