• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Valvoline VR1 Synthetic Racing Oil with Flat Tappets ?

70rcode

Local time
6:09 AM
Reaction score
Has/Does anyone use VR1 Synthetic Racing Oil to Break-in FT cams & Lifters ? ....Per L Speed Jr., Valvoline has Adequate zinc PPM & has recently Reduced the Calcium & Detergent content in all their Racing Oils.... After Conventional oil Break-in, Wouldn't VR1 Synthetic Racing Oil offer significant Better FT camshaft Wear protection over their Conventional VR1 oils ??

You can buy a special break oil with zinc it.then use vr1 afterwards

I wouldn't use it for break in, but it is a good oil for use in flat tappet engines. I'd stick with designated break-in oil like Dtiven BR30 or even Lucas Break-In oil. Pull your inner springs before running it.

I agree, break-in oil, then VR1. I use it in all my cars.even at -10 below they start right up with no chattering at all.

Thx for that Valvoline link, penora..."Break-in Oil" is regular High Zinc mineral based oil Without the normal Friction & Wear Additive package designed to Promote Frictional Wear to wear off rough, high peak cylinder wall hone to Assure Rings break-in.. It's like high Zinc 30W Machining Fluid..... All "Break-in" oils rank at very Bottom of the "Motor Oils Ranking Report" by 540Rat...I don't think you want Any oil that Promotes Frictional Wear near your FT cam & lifter at Any time.....

My last few new cams that I've broken in I've used Driven break in oil. After that initial break in we than run VR1 oil.

I have been using VR-1 in both the 440 6bbl and the 421 Tripower since we got them 10 odd years ago, but I switched to regular Valvoline for the 421 since I had it rebuilt with a hydraulic roller cam and lifters.
I broke in new hydraulic FT lifters on my existing MP 292/509 cam with VR-1 and an additive.
I wasn't aware of synthetic VR-1..Thanks!

Synthetic oil is not recommended for breaking in new piston rings.

VR1 makes a conventional oil as well, and its great for engine break in. All three of my motor builds have used this stuff with an additive to make sure that all is good.

Synthetic oil is not recommended for breaking in new piston rings.
Agreed, and that is one of the biggest reasons why I use full synthetic oil once my engine is broken in.
If it's so good at preventing wear that it's not recommended for break in, that means it's great at preventing wear IMO.
I am going to switch to a synthetic oil for the 421 (now .035 over) and it has hydraulic roller lifters.
I've used it in my Pentastar V6 in my work Caravan.

Why is Synthetic Not recommended for engine Break-in ?? Are we talking Piston ring Seating issues here ?... I'm sure most New cars have been factory assembly line Filled with Synthetic oil for decades Without Piston ring break-in Seating problems & those Are some fairly Hard rings I've heard.....If it's about FT cam Lobe & Lifter Break-in, with FT metal to metal contact being so Close to Break-in Wear issue Failures, I would think a little Synthetic Superior wear Protection would be Welcomed there.....So why Not Synthetic oil for FT Break-in ??

Wasn't it Winston Churchill who said: never in the field of automotive conquests has so much time been wasted on oils by so many.....

Auto Transport Service
Back