• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vanishing Point

Splangj

Local time
7:00 AM
Reaction score
I just bought the Blue Ray from Amazon. Looking at the cover I thought it was going to be an Asian version, not in English, but it was. There’s a directors cut in there, and I’m pretty sure he says they bought 8 Challengers? I had always heard 3. Did everyone notice the ‘70 four door dark blue Satellite in most of those scenes? I also feel some scenes where not sped up, or am I wrong? I gotta say, that’s one sexy car! Too bad they’re probably all gone now, alas….

7B99657B-103C-4EEC-B9AE-8E2838708FF0.jpeg

I had read long ago that there were five, all donated by Chrysler, beat to hell by the movie and then returned to Chrysler, and that it was Chrysler that actually destroyed them.

This dark blue one?

i008681.jpg

The 'Director's Cut' is likely the European release with the night scene featuring the ominous woman played by Charlotte Rampling. It really helps make better sense of the movie.

Funny this was brought this up, there was a barbecue honoring the movie Vanishing Point in Cisco, Utah three weeks ago, June 11.

Rest in peace, Barry Newman.

A Chrysler proving ground employee said he remembers seeing a car hauler delivering five white beat up 70 Challengers there . He believes the cars were assessed then destroyed. To this day none of the Challengers used in the movie have ever been found.

A Chrysler proving ground employee said he remembers seeing a car hauler delivering five white beat up 70 Challengers there . He believes the cars were assessed then destroyed. To this day none of the Challengers used in the movie have ever been found.

Are you sure that the Chrysler employee who saw them was not a mail clerk?

I also feel some scenes where not sped up, or am I wrong?
In the director’s cut, I believe the director, Richard Sarafian, stated that some scenes were “under cranked” so when played at film speed, the scenes are in fact sped up.
Ron

DeltaV
yes that’s the one, seen many times early on. I think it’s the car that cuts Barry off as he tries to pass and forces him off the road.

Auto Transport Service
Back