• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Van's Auto Turn Signal Switch Review

threewood

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:31 PM
Reaction score
I installed the new Van's switch in January of this year. I just replaced it with the original that had a broken cancel arm. Not a great part. Grade of D

Link to part... https://vansauto.com/product/turn-signal-switch-67-69-a-b-c-body/

When I installed it, it looked and felt flimsy compared to the original. The signal arms are fixed without a cancel setting. So if you want to switch lanes, don't use your signals or you won't be able to cancel them. Totally different than the original design where you can turn them on and off whenever.

Installation was easy.

Fast forward to 2 months ago when turning right the signal would then switch to left turn after the turn was complete. So I finally dug into it and found the switch is cracked and pulling apart so the arms are pulling away. Also, the roller contact for the horn was rotating due to a bad crimp. Probably not a great contact. I can't recommend it. I hate wasting time switching out a part for something inferior.

I circled the crack below.
20211030_173752.jpg
20211030_173829.jpg
20211030_162650.jpg
20211030_162714.jpg
20211030_162727.jpg

I replaced with a @Slantsixdan almost two years ago. Still working and I like the feel of the actuation.

Exactly why I bought 4 nos turn signal switches this past year.

If I absolutely HAVE to go with a repop part, Vans is one of the companies on my go-to list. But some of their stuff is sketchy to say the least. Like Kiwi said..
Thanks for the heads up.

Looks like you may have overtightened the turn signal lever screw, judging from the location of the crack.

Looks like you may have overtightened the turn signal lever screw, judging from the location of the crack.
It would have no bearing on a crack developing because the lever screw holds the signal stalk to the pivot stud (it is metal) and nothing more. It doesn't tighten or hold the top signal portion (yellow piece). The yellow piece is noticeably thinner than the original.

Brings up another issue with the pivot. On the turn signal stalk there is a v ridge that goes into the v notch on the part. Well the v notch was too narrow and had to be filed on for the v to actually engage.

With the supply problems we are lucky to get anything from the vendors.
What a nightmare.
I've bought some quality stuff from Vans.
https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/fuel-tank-rubber-problem.159323/
At least it HAS a roller.
Every later A body one I've found in the last couple of years has a spring loaded stud instead of a roller.

I've bought parts from Van's before and many are pretty solid. This one is a dud. Too cheap and too flimsy. The original lasted 50 years. This pos failed before 1 year.

i think this where i got mine it was made in the USA i used a couple of chinese crap ones through them out and haven't had any trouble, it been in the car probably 5 years, just check ebay but make sure its made in usa this where i got it
Old Car Parts NW, Inc it was NOS

Having formally use to be in the sales end of the reproduction market.

Ive never heard ANYTHING goo about these repop turn signal switches

Auto Transport Service
Back