• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Various electrical questions 67 Coronet 440

John H

Local time
5:42 PM
Reaction score
I recently purchased this car and have the following ?'s.

1. I can not get power to my trunk light. I have traced the wire to the harness behind my rear seat where it ties into. I have tested the bulb and the wire with a test light.

2. I am trying to put the bulb into my BRAKE light indicator on the dash but can not get my fingers under the dash to install it. Does the indicator pop out of the dash so I can re-install the bulb and holder? Also, the light does not illuminate when the emergency brake is engaged. I tested the bulb and it is good.

3. When driving the car the alternator gauge indicates charging (to the right). I just installed a new battery because the car's old battery was 10 years old. It starts fine with what appears to be plenty of juice. When it is at idle, the charge gauge is in the middle. Headlights are bright. The faster I drive, the more it indicates charging. When I turn on the heater and headlights it also indicates charging.

4. The AM radio is not giving me a signal. You can hear it turn on through the speaker (cracking noise) and the antenna is plugged into the radio. How do I get to the antenna in the fender if I had to change it out. It's manual operated. Not sure If they had power antennas back in the day.

Thnak you everyone.

Item 3. Ammeter function sounds correct that's what it's supposed to do.

Item 4. I doubt the antenna is the issue it's likely the radio itself.

1. Do you have 12V to where you tested? If so check that the switch ground is good.
2. The 67 Coronet brake light is in the cluster, unlike the 67 Belvedere. If you cannot get to it, you may have to pull the cluster. Refer to the service manual.
3. As indicated above it sounds like normal operation.
4. Here again you are probably faced with pulling the cluster to get the radio out to have serviced. The antenna takes a special tool to remove the bezel and remove. If you cannot get it out from there, you may have to remove the splash shield behind the RF tire. Also the passenger side kick panel is where the antenna cable comes through.

1. Do you have 12V to where you tested? If so check that the switch ground is good.
2. The 67 Coronet brake light is in the cluster, unlike the 67 Belvedere. If you cannot get to it, you may have to pull the cluster. Refer to the service manual.
3. As indicated above it sounds like normal operation.
4. Here again you are probably faced with pulling the cluster to get the radio out to have serviced. The antenna takes a special tool to remove the bezel and remove. If you cannot get it out from there, you may have to remove the splash shield behind the RF tire. Also the passenger side kick panel is where the antenna cable comes through.

Thank you Jerry...

This is what I am talking about. Is this for when the emergency brake is engaged?

Also, I do not have power on the wire leading to the trunk light.

Brake lite indicator lamp.jpg

If you have power to the lamp base then you need to check (mess with) the ground switch for trunk lid position.
Try removing that wire and jumpering to a clean ground.

Also check that you have the secondary ground from the back of the engine to the firewall while you are working on this if that's missing it could contribute to this problem.

If you have power to the lamp base then you need to check (mess with) the ground switch for trunk lid position.
Try removing that wire and jumpering to a clean ground.

Also check that you have the secondary ground from the back of the engine to the firewall while you are working on this if that's missing it could contribute to this problem.
Thank you Don. I have no power where the wire enters the harness under the back seat, which i removed to get at it. So I must have to trace it back at dash or engine compartment?

Thank you Jerry...

This is what I am talking about. Is this for when the emergency brake is engaged?

View attachment 1433055
So, is this suppose to illuminate when I engage the emergency brake? and is it easily removable to reinstall the light bulb?

Thank you Don. I have no power where the wire enters the harness under the back seat, which i removed to get at it. So I must have to trace it back at dash or engine compartment?
Does the Dome light work?
It's the same power feed I believe. Pink (interior lights) changes to Black for the trunk light.

Thank you Jerry...

View attachment 1433055
Sorry you are correct, that is the brake light on your car. Yes, depressing the emergency brake should light it. It should come on steady for several seconds, and then start flashing. It's a special bulb, and sort of hard to find these days. Also it's the same number as the more common bulb that doesn't flash. #63 comes to mind, but I haven't referred to the service manual. It may have a dash and another number or letter designation.

Sorry you are correct, that is the brake light on your car. Yes, depressing the emergency brake should light it. It should come on steady for several seconds, and then start flashing. It's a special bulb, and sort of hard to find these days. Also it's the same number as the more common bulb that doesn't flash. #63 comes to mind, but I haven't referred to the service manual. It may have a dash and another number or letter designation.
Perfect. I just found the service and parts manual on line thanks to another member on this site... Thanks again. I would buy you guys a beer... But your probably 1000 miles away from Bridgewater Mass.

Perfect. I just found the service and parts manual on line thanks to another member on this site... Thanks again. I would buy you guys a beer... But your probably 1000 miles away from Bridgewater Mass.
So does this pop out of the dash so that i can install the bulb? Or do I have to pull the dash apart?

Auto Transport Service
Back