• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vent window Allen key stripped and won't turn

We had the exact same problem on my 68 Satty. Why the hell the factory couldn't put the access hole with the rubber plug directly in line with the allen head???? Had a hard time even finding which allen wrench to try. We wound up using a air hack saw that has the blade coming out the end. Not sure just where it was cut off because someone else actually did it. Got to it by taking off the door upholstery panel and into the large access opening. .....................MO
Seems like what I am up against.
Great ideas here to get back to trying with though, thanks everyone. I'll hit it when I can and see where I can get to.

YEP... a few turns to loosen and the assembly slides up in one piece.
Funny, I get a couple red X's but they lack the balls to quote me.........There is no Allen head bolt/screw on the vent window frame assembly itself....The piece in question is part of the door frame which holds a portion of the vent window assembly....

Again, after further explanation from the OP it made more sense as to what he was referring to....I cant say it enough pictures can save a lot of time.....

Last edited:
I’ve had them be off from the access hole just like your problem. Cut an Allen wrench short enough to go in behind the door and insert in the Allen bolt straight on.

Photo of the Allen bolt that doesn’t exist. LOL

View attachment 837462
I also didn't have to edit my post to include a picture, 23 mins after my post showing the correct part:D

I also didn't have to edit my post to include a picture, 23 mins after my post showing the correct part:D

OK shame on me for going out to the garage and taking a picture to show people what the darn thing looks like. More and more I get grief for posting a photo of parts to help people, and it’s always rom a 3rd party, WHY IS THAT??? The original person asking the question is usually happy, as in this case.

Printed words have power and when you type incorrect statements they need to get a red X so folks don’t take it as the truth.

When I read his first post I knew what the part and problem was because I’ve been there before.

You had a restoration thread and had a photo of the part in your hand, but the first thing you did is call him out say there ain’t no Allen head bolts, blah, blah, blah.

Now your quoted, feel better? Have a great weekend, and relax, take a deep breath, all is well.

OK shame on me for going out to the garage and taking a picture to show people what the darn thing looks like. More and more I get grief for posting a photo of parts to help people, and it’s always rom a 3rd party, WHY IS THAT??? The original person asking the question is usually happy, as in this case.

Printed words have power and when you type incorrect statements they need to get a red X so folks don’t take it as the truth.

When I read his first post I knew what the part and problem was because I’ve been there before.

You had a restoration thread and had a photo of the part in your hand, but the first thing you did is call him out say there ain’t no Allen head bolts, blah, blah, blah.

Now your quoted, feel better? Have a great weekend, and relax, take a deep breath, all is well.
Wow...what a little angry guy you are......I did state there was no Allen head bolt "in" the vent window frame...Where is there an Allen head bolt/screw in the frame assembly itself? As many these cars are meddled with I have seen many strange things previous owners did. After the OP posted more that clarified it up...As I stated posting a picture on the initial post answers questions faster.....

Uhh my restoration thread is not past tense, it is still going strong..More to come, lots more:D.....Wheres yours Mr. Talented?

You read the first post one way and I took it as another way from the OP.........Kudos to you, you got the puzzle. Here is your participation award, lol....You made the effort to drop a red X and then make a sarcastic reference in your edited post.........Just as the grief you're complaining about above in relation to 3rd party whatever, you're doing the same currently in relation to me....lol

Just post your pic and move on....Stop being a child and clicking the red X button and making a smart azz reference if you cant handle that persons explanation......

So relax and breath normally....

Guys,
I really appreciate the responses and the photo you shared, that was a far better picture than I could have taken especially with the car not accessible to me easily for the next couple of weeks.

The back and forth this seems to have caused is a bit puzzling and I apologize for not creating the most understandable and clear post with concise pictures. I will try to ensure my posts in the future are clear and concise.

Take the weekend of guys

Guys,
I really appreciate the responses and the photo you shared, that was a far better picture than I could have taken especially with the car not accessible to me easily for the next couple of weeks.

The back and forth this seems to have caused is a bit puzzling and I apologize for not creating the most understandable and clear post with concise pictures. I will try to ensure my posts in the future are clear and concise.

Take the weekend of guys
U did zero wrong my....I misunderstood what you were explaining and as you clarified it...nailed it down.....

Pictures are just extremely helpful and that if it is possible......

Unfortunately, some find humor and a mode to be an azz when they think someone is wrong and don’t understand how one could get confused......

Sad thing is I had zero issues with the guy prior to this and I enjoy his postings....

What I did on my 68 Charger. I used a uni bit and made the hole bigger, then drilled the head of the bolt off.

65F8710A-7DCF-4CA1-89BA-AB1D91F2A49B.jpeg 010F69CD-3EDD-4287-A5FF-5125BFB9EE6F.jpeg

U did zero wrong my....I misunderstood what you were explaining and as you clarified it...nailed it down.....

Pictures are just extremely helpful and that if it is possible......

Unfortunately, some find humor and a mode to be an azz when they think someone is wrong and don’t understand how one could get confused......

Sad thing is I had zero issues with the guy prior to this and I enjoy his postings....

I don’t appreciate you insulting me. It doesn’t look good on you. I don’t take Internet forums personally like some others might.

This is all about helping with Kevin his wing window problem, and these great B-bodies. YOU had to start the crap with name calling an your“edit” complex. Well they have the edit and the red X here to use, right?

Kevin, did you get the problem fastener removed?? Let us know.

I don’t appreciate you insulting me. It doesn’t look good on you. I don’t take Internet forums personally like some others might.

This is all about helping with Kevin his wing window problem, and these great B-bodies. YOU had to start the crap with name calling an your“edit” complex. Well they have the edit and the red X here to use, right?

Lol.....name calling? Please copy and paste from the post I quoted you originally that is “name calling”......man you can really twist things around to fit your narrative...sad, really.....

What doesn’t look good is your constant digs and dragging this on for no reason...

Give it up bro....

I haven't had a chance but I will post back when I do. Could be a week or more though..

Looking forward to hearing about the results now.

To the others above...please stop with non-topic bickering...thanks. :thankyou:

Put some anti -seize on the threads when you put the new bolt in and tighten it up. Someone will thank you in 50 more years.

There is no Allen head anything originally in a vent window frame. Are you talking about the pin on the vent window pivot shaft or handle? If so it has to be driven out......
I got enough balls to answer you, I simply dis agreed with your statement. Get off your high horse. You want to want to defend your statement, OK. You don't have to get pissy about it. But I and several others knew exactly what he meant , because I had to deal with the same thing.. .................MO

AGREED...
It's stuff like this that makes people not want to try and help on a technical question. I have just about quit trying to help out with what I have experienced because someone has to prove how much smarter they are than me.................MO

Auto Transport Service
Back