• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vent window Allen key stripped and won't turn

Guys,
I really appreciate the responses and the photo you shared, that was a far better picture than I could have taken especially with the car not accessible to me easily for the next couple of weeks.

The back and forth this seems to have caused is a bit puzzling and I apologize for not creating the most understandable and clear post with concise pictures. I will try to ensure my posts in the future are clear and concise.

Take the weekend of guys
Don't feel bad, not your fault . Even some Mopar folks have an attitude, but others will help you the best they can.....MO

If you can get a drill/impact bit with the ball end on it....that may be your best bet. ...as long as you haven't already stripped the allen drive. Those impact driver drills are pretty amazing on what they can break loose. If you are looking at drilling it.....at least make sure you've thoroughly stripped the allen drive before you give up on the allen wrench.

I've had similar issues where they were slightly off from the hole in the door. Maybe when they installed them from the factory the bolt "walked" a little during the final tighten. I was always successful in driving an allen wrench onto the bolt and using a crescent wrench to break it loose. That was before I had an impact driver available. Those buggers can be tight...I always cringed as I was adding more and more pressure to loosen and then usually "pop" it breaks loose and then it's easy to loosen.

That's fine on a Charger because it's got an upper door panel pad to hide the extra drilling, but not so on a GTX.
Thanks for clearing that up, for me. I couldn't figger where he was drilling the bigger hole. Picture didn't look like my 68 Satty.......MO

I finally got back to the window and got it out.
Yes I stripped the Allen key and it has a nut on the back not a square type washer.
Luckily I was able to loosen it slightly which was enough to would it out.
Thanks for the help and sorry it took me 3 months to get back on it.
In the meantime, I have stripped much of the car including the motor and trans, interior, fenders, drivers door, gas tank, etc...
IMG_20191229_231655.jpg
IMG_20191229_225802.jpg
IMG_20191229_225802.jpg

I finally got back to the window and got it out.
Yes I stripped the Allen key and it has a nut on the back not a square type washer.
Luckily I was able to loosen it slightly which was enough to would it out.
Thanks for the help and sorry it took me 3 months to get back on it.
In the meantime, I have stripped much of the car including the motor and trans, interior, fenders, drivers door, gas tank, etc...
View attachment 887665 View attachment 887666 View attachment 887666
Thanks for the update and glad you got it out!

Auto Transport Service
Back