• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

VIN stamp on 10-31-66 Hemi casting

AR67GTX

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:14 PM
Reaction score
I knew the Hemi engine in my 66 Satellite was not original - I figured from the casting date of 10-31-66 it was from a 67. I thought the VIN was on the back of the block above the bellhousing but I couldn’t see anything back there - hard to see - even with a bore camera. Today I noticed a stamping on the lower left rear of the block on the rear web of the block. But guess I’m not Mopar smart enough to decipher. The full stamped number is:

VIN42623360012

That obviously is not a typical vehicle VIN but I assume it does have some purpose or meaning by Chrysler. Engine assembly stamp? Or is it more likely a rebuilders stamp?

I'm not that literate on those numbers, but try this. 426 Hemi 233rd day of 66, engine 0012.

That sounds better than anything I’ve come up with so far. The VIN prefix is a puzzler though.

That doesn't figure. That is August 21 1966. What is 2336 on the 10000 day calendar?

Thought 68 cars had VIN along bellhousing. It maybe a partial VIN. Have a 10-10-66 block that came out car built in Jan. or Feb 68, front carb was Oct 67. I understand it's said no Hemi blocks cast in 67.

That’s another reason I think it’s out of a 67 car - apparent lack of VIN on the upper back of the block - at least as far as I can tell.

I thought Chrysler started putting vehicle VIN on engine blocks for 1968 model year?

Not all 68 engines had VINs stamped in, or it could be a warranty engine etc. 2336 looks like it would be the 10,000 day calendar date of Dec. 20th 1967, which would be during the 68 model year. I can't explain the letters VIN stamped into the engine as it is an engine serial number not a vehicle identification number. I don't believe any hemis were cast in 1967 as stated above.

I wondered if the 4th digit (a “2”) might signify 2 carburetors since I guess NASCAR engines might have been assembled there too.

I forgot to mention there is a Maltese cross stamped near it to. And another strange symbol is also stamped near it.

I found this thread that does support the 2336 is a calendar date but from this thread my engine would fall in the 68 model year. The 68 assembled block in the thread apparently lacked a VIN stamp too. They say the prefix is the assembly plant - typically MV or MN. Sure looked like VIN to me but it’s pretty light. I’ll try to get a picture.
https://board.moparts.org/ubbthread...cs/1109594/426-hemi-block-stampings-help.html
https://board.moparts.org/ubbthread...cs/1109594/426-hemi-block-stampings-help.html

Undersized mains and or rods. Counter probably stamped,this a crank that came out of maltese stamped engine.
acrank.JPG

Pictures
D4E6BE1B-844B-44FE-8106-6A3D94C1B240.jpeg

4D31D470-5533-47AB-AB5F-E329476C95EC.jpeg

I think that prefix is MN now. The first leg of the M is missing or very faint - hard to see it clearly with bifocals and I mistook it for VIN. So that seems to clear things up and as RT Boy 67 said, it’s a 68 model year engine.

what’s the assembly date on the top pad?

Don’t really see much on the top pad. I’ll take a closer look tomorrow.

I don’t have any of that stamping on mine.

I can’t tell you what all the Lette͏r͏s mean but the stamping on the bottom of the block is not related to a vin number at all. It the plant code where it was built, the date is was assembled and which engine of the Day.

I can’t tell you what all the Lette͏r͏s mean but the stamping on the bottom of the block is not related to a vin number at all. It the plant code where it was built, the date is was assembled and which engine of the Day.

I think this is correct.

Ive not looked at the area you mention on mine.
But mine does have the info on the top pad

I dont remember all of it , But
W is water tested ,
1 22 is Jan 22nd assy date
Maltese cross is 10 under rods and/or mains

20201018_151210.jpg

I think this is correct.

Ive not looked at the area you mention on mine.
But mine does have the info on the top pad

I dont remember all of it , But
W is water tested ,
1 22 is Jan 22nd assy date
Maltese cross is 10 under rods and/or mains

View attachment 1202453
Built March 1, 1966 22nd engine built

Built March 1, 1966 22nd engine built

Ok, makes better sense.
I know it was the original motor to the car it came out of which had a SBD around the 1st week of april 66 , same as my car . Which is why the previous owner bought this particular body .

The Coronet was burnt beyond repair . ( garage fire back in the 80s )

Auto Transport Service
Back