• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vin Tag

Randy73

Local time
4:50 PM
Reaction score
Is there anyway to restore this?

Paint it and put the Chrysler symbol back on it?

I think the best way to restore a vin tag is to media blast, weld the holes shut, water based phosphate prep, deionized water rinse, electro deposition epoxy coat, bake, scuff, polyester prime, block with 320 grit, urethane prime, block with 800 wet, base/clear, block to 2000 wet, buff to shine.

Pay no attention to me, seriously I am absolutely full of it today more so than normal.

:grin:

You could also use a magic wand or a time machine.

I really thought someone might have some actual intelligent input for you by now...

magic wand and or time machine must be the way to go or someone else surely would have corrected me by now. :)

You will have better luck if you let people know what year car you have, were not physic.

73 charger, and I did not think the year would matter, as they look pretty much the same from 60's to the 70's.

hello,a place called backeast will do this for you.should be able to
find this,I had a friend who had one done. hope this helps

73 charger, and I did not think the year would matter, as they look pretty much the same from 60's to the 70's.

No, they are not the same. 67 back are bright stainless steel and are mounted on the inside front of the door frame. 68-up are black metal and are mounted on thev inside dash frame.

The silkscreen decal is repoed and available here:

http://www.ecsautomotive.com/productsVIN.php

Ahh, the infamous "Vin tag restoration" question. Let the legal argument begin. See below.

There are shops that can fully restore it to its new glory, IF you understand that it is illegal in most states to remove, alter, restore, or repalce an original VIN tag.

There is a long discussion on this somewhere in the forum, including the "special star rivet" which is one of the issues.

I do not remember the outcome, but the discussion was lively. Personally, I like northerndave's method, it will be real shiny.

Randy

Ahh, the infamous "Vin tag restoration" question. Let the legal argument begin."

That is all just a bunch of B.S. started by the Mopar Nazi police. It is NOT illegal for you to remove your V.I.N. plate for restoration purposes PERIOD. the V.I.N. tampering laws were created for a very specific reason: CAR THEIFT and the law has very specific exceptions clearly stated in that law that allows for removal/replacement and grafting cars togather with two different V.I.N.s for both repair or restoration. If you legally own the car (or cars) involved and it has never been reported stolen the law simply does not care unless you are suddenly selling parts off of the car that they may suspect monkey business, thinking that the car is not what you claim it to be. In most cases it is pretty simple to prove that the tag in your possession belongs to the car with the hidden numbers and proof of a title in your name.

OTOH, if you have the windshield out of a 68-up car you can easily strip the paint of the tag with out removing it and repaint it and add the decal. If you need to remove it you can and the correct rosette rivits are easily available from several sources.

Ahh, the infamous "Vin tag restoration" question. Let the legal argument begin."

That is all just a bunch of B.S. started by the Mopar Nazi police. It is NOT illegal for you to remove your V.I.N. plate for restoration purposes PERIOD. the V.I.N. tampering laws were created for a very specific reason: CAR THEIFT and the law has very specific exceptions clearly stated in that law that allows for removal/replacement and grafting cars togather with two different V.I.N.s for both repair or restoration. If you legally own the car (or cars) involved and it has never been reported stolen the law simply does not care unless you are suddenly selling parts off of the car that they may suspect monkey business, thinking that the car is not what you claim it to be. In most cases it is pretty simple to prove that the tag in your possession belongs to the car with the hidden numbers and proof of a title in your name.

OTOH, if you have the windshield out of a 68-up car you can easily strip the paint of the tag with out removing it and repaint it and add the decal. If you need to remove it you can and the correct rosette rivits are easily available from several sources.

Well said.

Auto Transport Service
Back