• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vintage license plates

BanginGears

Local time
12:19 PM
Reaction score
Has there been any law change regarding registering your musclecar with period correct vintage, antique license plates?

Looking to get a pair of 1969 plates for my classic car.
Just finished restoring it and want to get it registered.

Last edited:
My ‘66 plate is for Florida but there is a website Plateshack.com that may have Ohio plates, if that’s what you’re looking for.

YOM here in Commiefornia.

Likely depends by state. Check with your local license office. Here in Ontario, Canada, we can use YOM plates. The license office first has to check and see if the numbers on the plate to be used are valid. Sometimes the numbers are already registered for another year plate, trailer plate, snowmobile, etc.

Likely depends by state. Check with your local license office. Here in Ontario, Canada, we can use YOM plates. The license office first has to check and see if the numbers on the plate to be used are valid. Sometimes the numbers are already registered for another year plate, trailer plate, snowmobile, etc.

yes what he said. As anyway has a web link to see if the plate is in use. Not sure about Ohio. Took me several numbers to find one I could use.

In Florida it is called "Authenticated License Plate" program which may be issued to any vehicle manufactured in 1975 or earlier.
As others here said they have to verify the # is not presently issued to another vehicle.

In Florida it is called "Authenticated License Plate" program which may be issued to any vehicle manufactured in 1975 or earlier.
As others here said they have to verify the # is not presently issued to another vehicle.
Florida DMV said I need to send my plate to Tallahassee for authentication. They check number and condition. If approved they then issue the registration. Hope they don’t lose my plate.

In Michigan it's a thing...I think the last governor loosened up the rules....I think

When the program first started in Ontario, there was a minimal charge for the province to authenticate the plates. They had to be sent to Toronto, along with the vehicle ownership slip. Now, it is treated like a vanity plate, with about $250.00 charge. Total tax grab! I had to find the plates and buy them, with no financial outlay from the province.

I’m in Ohio as well. You register your car as a historic vehicle and find a YOM plate you like. Call the DMV and see if that plate number is in use, if it’s not they will link it to your vehicle. It was very easy for me to do. I keep the historic plate in the trunk just in case of any confusion. No additional charge that I can remember.

Just be aware the historic plates have use restrictions. To/from cruises, etc. you can’t use YOM plates with a regular registration.

In AZ you can register with YOM plates. I have a YOM plate with an original expiration sticker that is date correct on my Fiero Indy Pace Car.
Rolland

Has there been any law change regarding registering your musclecar with period correct vintage, antique license plates?

Looking to get a pair of 1969 plates for my classic car.
Just finished restoring it and want to get it registered.

These DMV's crack me up. Here in Calif it is against the law to restore your plates. If the plate is legal and you want to straighten it and repaint that is a crime, why?
A friends son use to restore them, metal finish and repaint. Someone turned him into the state and it took a lawyer to get him off. Luckily his brother is a lawyer. It was a major issue.
Now the YOM program is as such, you bring in your new old plates that you want to use and they look at them to make certain they're not copies, you also have a year sticker for your year of car, also the plates have to be correct for that year of car. Now you get to pay them an annual fee for having those plates
Then we have the new state issued "black" calif plate program. A look alike for the original 1962-69 plates. It's a vanity plate so you can not order it with an actual number sequence from back in the day. I don't see why this is a problem for Calif DMV, they have the computer system that tells them every single license plate in the system, so if it isn't in use why not reissue those numbers?
Just doesn't make a lot of sense

Auto Transport Service
Back