• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Viper T56 install

747mopar

Local time
4:40 AM
Reaction score
After the disappointment with the TKO 600 (not "FER RACIN" approved) I quickly sold it and should have the Quicktime bellhousing and Viper T56 sitting in my garage by next week. They are low mileage trannies out of a salvage yard that specializes in Vipers and came at a very reasonable price. The trip to Summit has already been made for the clutch, master cylinder, tranny mount, pilot bearing etc, and trannies will be coming equipped with their original throwout bearing setups and a slip yoke.

The goal is to install a T56 on the cheap without cutting any corners so once I get a little further into it I'll give a complete break down of everything that was purchased with their price and everything that was necessary to maker it fit. The reason for the T56 is pretty simple, it's proven (Vipers), it's obviously rated for HP seeing how the Vipers put out 500+HP, it's got great overdrive gears and it's a single rail shifter meaning easy shifting. We have 2 different ones coming, 03 and up have 1 piece input shafts but 06 and up have other mods do to the use in the Viper Trucks meaning they were beefed up a bit but have less parts available. Because of my Buds (Goon) monster 520 motor he elected to go with the 06 and I have an 04 coming (I'm not above 500HP) but I imagine there will be no noticeable difference between them. Hopefully by next weekend the chopping will commence, for those who are not familiar with my car it will be going in a 69 Charger with a 451 stroker.

A great way to start out the new Mopar year Devin! I'm in for pics and updates.

TU.jpg

Thank you looking forward to how it all works out thanks .. Bo

Got the invoice and tracking info today, ETA is the 5th so you can expect pics, sparks, burns, cuts, cuss words and hopefully some progress shortly afterwards.

- - - Updated - - -

A great way to start out the new Mopar year Devin! I'm in for pics and updates.

View attachment 230408

Yes it is, I never would have thought I'd get around to the T56 upgrade this soon but thanks to some rather weird circumstances and dumb luck it is.

Superscribed Devin. Looking forward to see how this goes in that beautiful car you have !!

Thanks Mitch, after seeing your work (Golden Chicken) the compliment is much appreciated.

I know that the work will be top notch 747 Mopar . . . just as the rest of your car proves it . . . can't wait to see the results. Of course, even more, I can't wait to go for a ride in it ! !

I'll be working on my tunnel mods as soon a s I can get the rear seats figured out . . . hope to be on that soon.

We can compare notes . . .

Sure thing Kanh, my biggest concern is not having to re-do my console but if it has to be than so be it. I'm sure we'll get plenty of seat time since my gearing was my biggest reason for keeping the distances close, now I plan to really stretch it's legs and won't be avoiding 70mph freeways anymore.

Right on time, I'm pretty impressed that even being shipped freight they showed up right on time.:headbang: Everything looks great and they are definitely smoother feeling on the shifter.

DSCN9383.jpg

The tag on Goons tranny

DSCN9384.jpg

I already like the internal hyd setup better on these compared to the TKO, there's an external bleeder right where it should be (on the high side). Should be easier to get a firm pedal!

DSCN9388.jpg
DSCN9389.jpg

No denying what they came out of haha

DSCN9390.jpg
DSCN9408.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I've been buying parts ahead of time so here's what I've got so far. The clutch, rated for 500 HP which I think will be fine with my street tires and a motor that likely doesn't exceed that.

DSCN9382.jpg
DSCN9392.jpg
DSCN9393.jpg

I had a brand new Ram flywheel but unfortanetly while removing the one from the TKO I failed to realize that my lead hammer had worn threw to the steel handle and I put a few dings in it:angryfire:. I sent the buyer the new one and will have to clean this one up now (it's new too, kinda).

DSCN9394.jpg

Here's the pieces I've been tinkering with to make the master cylinder mount. The goal is obviously make the angle adjustable so I can play with the fulcrum point increasing or decreasing pedal movement. The first pic is the master cylinder side.

DSCN9405.jpg

Then the firewall plate (there's 2 to sandwich the wall), these bolt right over the existing clutch linkage hole like the Keisler adapter did.

DSCN9407.jpg

I'm trying to hold them so you get the just of it, I'll get them welded up soon. I'm petty proud of my McGyver moment on the radiused slots. I don't have an indexing head for the mill so I just bolted it down snug on the pivot point, temporarily welded a long handle on them and proceeded to manually swing the pieces (all 4 stacked) on the mill making the needed slots. Who needs a stinking indexing head anyways haha........... Actually I'd love to have one!

DSCN9403.jpg

And as you can see I accidently made twice as much as I needed...................... Guess Goon can use them.

DSCN9402.jpg

The mount

DSCN9396.jpg

The master cylinder, I chose the 13/16 bore for the extra capacity hoping to reduce pedal movement (I hope I don't regret it).

DSCN9399.jpg

Pilot bearing, what's the odds that there's a pilot bearing that both fits the bigger converter hole in the crankshaft and a Viper input shaft? Can't believe it.

DSCN9398.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Expect updates this weekend because if the bell housing shows up and it should I have every intention of having the tranny mounted in the car by weeks end.

Hey Dev,

I'll add to the crowd in saying this ought to be awesome!

Do you mind me asking what the trans cost?

Bob

Hey Dev,

I'll add to the crowd in saying this ought to be awesome!

Do you mind me asking what the trans cost?

Bob

No, one of the purposes of this thread is to show the cost and mods required. The 04 tranny was $1,500 and the 06 was $1,600, both were low mileage. I'm going to come back and add the prices to the other parts as well so it's all on here but everything is coming from Summit except the bell housings (found a great deal on Ebay).

Very COOL 747Mopar and GOON . . . I can't wait to see this whole thing come together . . . and both of you will have your cars set up . . .

here it comes . . .

FER RACIN'

YEAH . . . no that's what I'm talking about ! ! !

Next to this one Tranny I met one night in Vegas THOSE are the prettiest trannies I ever did see!! lmao!

Seriously I can't believe how fast they arrived and how nice and clean they look. Beyond that the Fab work you're doing is amazing as usual (lucky me for 2 of everything:) And it's great to start getting an idea of what's involved. Have you received and shipment notification on your bell housing? Worst case if you're in a jam (and have room on a CC) you could always grab one at full pop from Summit then just return yours to summit when it arrives. (keeps you from waiting)

Can't wait to see this all come together!

Kahn I just have to do some FER WAITIN' and more FER SPENDIN' before I can do some FER RACIN' lol!

Next to this one Tranny I met one night in Vegas THOSE are the prettiest trannies I ever did see!! lmao!

Seriously I can't believe how fast they arrived and how nice and clean they look. Beyond that the Fab work you're doing is amazing as usual (lucky me for 2 of everything:) And it's great to start getting an idea of what's involved. Have you received and shipment notification on your bell housing? Worst case if you're in a jam (and have room on a CC) you could always grab one at full pop from Summit then just return yours to summit when it arrives. (keeps you from waiting)

Can't wait to see this all come together!

Kahn I just have to do some FER WAITIN' and more FER SPENDIN' before I can do some FER RACIN' lol!

Yeap, received the shipping notification and it's well overdo. I called today to check on it and somehow won a trip to the Bahamas............... some promo? Your clutch did arrive however, I went ahead and made sure it matched the tranny and flywheel :icon_thumleft: good to go! I must say after seeing that clutch setup I'm feeling a little envious, pretty slick.

- - - Updated - - -

I called the Viper yard today to thank them and let them know that they arrived as scheduled, while on the phone I mentioned that I had some asking about where I got them and he O.K'd me to provide a link so here it is for anybody interested. Good guys http://www.donscharfautomotive.net/ http://www.donscharfautomotive.net/

Yeap, received the shipping notification and it's well overdo. I called today to check on it and somehow won a trip to the Bahamas............... some promo? Your clutch did arrive however, I went ahead and made sure it matched the tranny and flywheel :icon_thumleft: good to go! I must say after seeing that clutch setup I'm feeling a little envious, pretty slick.

- - - Updated - - -

I called the Viper yard today to thank them and let them know that they arrived as scheduled, while on the phone I mentioned that I had some asking about where I got them and he O.K'd me to provide a link so here it is for anybody interested. Good guys http://www.donscharfautomotive.net/ http://www.donscharfautomotive.net/

Well, you took my next question off the board; I'll definitely be talking to the guys at Don's because there's just no way I'm putting another Tremec TKO in a car (the one in my '70 Vette SUCKED; guess it really wasn't "fer racin'").

- - - Updated - - -

Now Hydro, why'd it have to be a tranny here in Vegas? Why not Charlotte, Miami, or some other back-woods place? You make it sound like all us LV peeps hang from stripper poles wearing 6" glittery gold stilettos :hello2:

Well, you took my next question off the board; I'll definitely be talking to the guys at Don's because there's just no way I'm putting another Tremec TKO in a car (the one in my '70 Vette SUCKED; guess it really wasn't "fer racin'").

I'm still amazed at how well they are selling and how many actually like them? My guess is that they fit the other brands better (especially Chevies) and most are buying them just to cruise around very SLOWLY . Anything I leave out feel free to ask.

- - - Updated - - -

Parts list, source and prices. I'll keep updating this list as I go but I think I'll be in it for about $3,000 (I already had the flywheel and the driveshaft will be around $200.00).

Viper T56 Tranny...................................................Don Sharf Auto $1,500 $175.00 shipping

Quicktime bell housing RM 8073..............................Ebay (CARiD) $540

RAM 130 T Flywheel 1503.......................................Summit $299.97

McLeod Super Street Pro Clutch MCL-75225..............Summit $307.14

Clutch bolt pack MCL-1500......................................Summit $26.74

Prothane mount PTP-6-1608-BL...............................Summit $45.57

Pilot bearing BCA-FC69907......................................Summit $13.97

Willwood 13/16" Bore master cyl WIL-260-11972.......Summit $64.76

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Devin, It's nice to hear the clutch fits and looks like a quality piece, And good on you for calling the salvage yard that was top notch service! I should do the same (and likely will if I can get someone on the phone! lol)

- - - Updated - - -

Now Hydro, why'd it have to be a tranny here in Vegas? Why not Charlotte, Miami, or some other back-woods place? You make it sound like all us LV peeps hang from stripper poles wearing 6" glittery gold stilettos :hello2:

Hahahaa! It could have just as easily been Toronto but someone painted a nice visual picture for us recently!

I did NOT think I was going to be moving forward with a new tranny this fast so to change things up I had just ordered a new shifter and knob to change from my Tee Handle.... dammit this isn't going to be much good for very long! hahaha!
newshifter1.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back