• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Want to sell my car, but...

Skytrooper

1SG (Ret.)
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:27 AM
Reaction score
I made a post several weeks ago about wanting to sell my car. I got it without ever laying eyes on it. I was new (still am) to the classic car scene. Had I known better, I would have asked a lot of questions.
I have had many vehicles (52 so far) and had never heard of VIN swapping. Now it is starting to appear that my car quite possibly has been rebodied at some point.
Since I have decided to sell, I figured I would look it over for hidden vin's...mind you the door sticker, dash vin, and engine all match. When I got the car those were all I knew about...ok, I did learn about the engine number here at FBBO. Well, I haven't located the radiator support or the trunk ones yet, but the firewall cowl number does not match. I sent a photo to Don Frelier the other day of the dash vin plate. He said that the rivets are not the factory type.
I was told that the car was rear ended years ago and that the owner used another charger for repair parts. Now I am wondering if he just used a majority of the car. Unfortunately, I cannot ask him as he passed away.
The car is registered and inspected " on the road" in my name. How do I proceed to sell this car ? Obviously I need to declare to any prospective buyer the vin issue.

Had I been smarter and knew about this vin issue, I never would have gotten the car. Now, I am not sure how to sell it.

Are you unhappy with the car or just cant get over the rebody issue?

^^^^^ this unless your unhappy with your car I wouldn’t worry about it much. And just be cause the rivets are not right doesn’t necessarily mean it was a rebody finding the radiator support numbers are pretty easy to find normally on the driver side and the trunk lip is on the same side under the seal.
Sometimes depending on how hard the stamp was struck you can see them from under side of the truck gutter lip. The correct rivets for the vin are available, have you seen the price! I wouldn’t get all strung up over the rivets in order to restore the dash and vin tag they need to be separated and some just don’t want to pay the crazy price to replace the tag with the crazy expensive correct ones.
In the end if your happy with the car drive it and don’t let it worry you.

I'm not against rebodying.. I'm against rebodying and then representing the car as original. But truly unless it's a desirable package of options with the price premiums those command I wouldn't bat an eye as a buyer rebodied or no. Just enjoy for what it is.

Actually I want to sell the car. It was just a rolling parts bin when I got it. I wanted to get it reassembled and running, which I have done. The transmission needs to go back in, had it rebuilt over the winter.

I have put a lot of time into it, but I have other things that I have been neglecting. It wasn' t an easy decision to make, but I still have my porsche for shows and cruises. So, it isnt like I need two cruisers.

I figure that someone would love a mostly done, drivable muscle car. No sense holding onto it until I am dust.

If ou want a "mopar guys" opinion of this car, feel free to PM Don Frelier. He has spent a lot of time helping me work on it, and he was the first to drive it on the road. He has better perspective of mopars than I do. I am sure he would be very genuine and unbiased answering any technical questions. IMHO, it will be a real head turner when finished.

Don, I hope it is ok that I offered up your services.

IMG_1350.jpg

Last May when it was officially road ready.

I have more pics, but not on my tablet. I will post some more later today.

This obviously is coming down to you being disappointed because it's might be an Air Car. You liked the car when you bought it, because it was this real deal and now, because of who you are, it's all pretend to you now. To start with, you're a good man and honest, two good traits to have. If you bought it at a fair price and were to sell it at a fair price, disclosing that it might be an Air car, no harm, no foul. To me, it's better than a clone. I take a lot of stuff way to seriously in life and for that reason, I buy what I like to relax in, it's not a penis extension. A beautiful car is what it will be, so keep it and Let The Horses Run and pride be damned. Ask me about my pretend Coronet and I'll laugh at you, it doesn't change how good we look together!! LOL

I had a 71 rt charger and sold it, I still regret selling. As said before finish it and drive it till you can't.

That is funny !
If it was just the simple fact of my pride, then yes...I would keep it. The vin issue is just been discovered since I decided to sell. If a potential buyer is grilling me, I dont want to come off as dumber than I really am. I have always been totally honest in all of my dealings, and will continue to be until they plant me.
I got a good deal on the car, and I had never had a muscle car before. It being a Mopar was icing on the cake. Now, 4.5 years later, I have made a functional, driveable car out of it. I just am tired of always working on it. So the best thing would be to pass it on to someone who has the passion.

Passion is a different story. I quit building cars because I lost the passion for it. It wasn't about the car, it was about me. I guess you answered your own question then, the next question is how much. Sorry to hear. Good luck!!

Well, I was hoping to get some estimates here. I mean if it was a correct R/T that is an investment. Being a rebody, I have no way of knowing a fair price except by what the supposedly rebuildable hulks are going for.
It is a solid car, no rust. Interior needs to be done and it would need paint. I only painted it to seal it up, so it is not a great paint job. I have all the emblems, spoilers, new dash pad, console, original slap stick, 2 sets of bucket seats (rebuildable cores) , and lots more extra parts. It has a 440 HP Magnum with headers and new jegs 3" exhaust. All glass is in it along with interior trim and windshield trim.

I would drive it. Enjoy it. You have it registered. And insured.

maybe get it appraised and determine a value on that. It looks like a Nice car.

Put the hood on, run the buffer, replace the black wiper blades and lets see that picture.
I love that car.

I wouldn't overthink this. Just put it up for sale and honestly state what you know about the cowl VIN and rivets. Potential buyers can make their own conclusions and determine how important this is to THEM. Start at a higher price and work your way down until it sells. The right person will eventually come along and be happy to have a solid, driver 71 440 Charger.

There is no trunk lip stamp on a 71. They are located on the cowl just above the wiper motor normally under the weather strip and the rad support normally facing the radiator.

That's a good looking R/T and all the correct parts are there and I agree with #41 be honest and you wont have any trouble selling it..

Auto Transport Service
Back