• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

wanting to buy 71 or 72 B-Body

Is there a big number stamped on the bottom of the pan?
72B 400 came with the 695 pan which 4qts plus 1 filter qt.
72B 440hp came with the 854 pan which holds 6 qts. plus 1.

dipstick.jpgoil pan 2.jpg
CORRECTION: i just notice in the oil pan pic here that the dipstick is hanging out in mid-air!! What the hell??!

- - - Updated - - -

The oil pan has 933 stamped on it.

Attachments

• oil pan.jpg
    oil pan.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 265
This is a 9 qt pan... so you got too much oil in there.

image.jpg

i amended my post just now. the dipstick is not even going into the block. it's hanging out. you can see it in the picture.

Well that solves the mystery. You can see the bottom of the dipstick tube in that picture. Just reinsert it into the block and see if it's loose. If so, there are some simple solutions.

Also check if there's evidence of oil leakage in that area because i think it'd leak pretty good with thentube out of the block. If no evidence, it might have been loose but you just recently yanked it out checking the oil.

no significant oil leakage. I put the tube back in. it's now registering WAY too much oil. i'm about to go drain some of it.
how do you get the tube to stay in better?

Lots of ways to skin this cat. easiest way would be to use a flare tool to increase the size of the end a bit. It will still wobble a bit, but wont leak. I've heard of some guys using a torch and brazing rod and just grinding / sanding to size. Adding material would make me worry a bit about adhesion problems. Maybe buy an aftermarket dipstick/tube kit?

Dipstick tube should have a bracket going to an exhaust manifold bolt. If so just use a little sillycone and bolt her down. If not, glue, weld, JB Weld, bubble gum, tie wire and duck tape.

- - - Updated - - -

Check to make sure the center link isn't rubbing against the pan. C-body pan in a B-body, sometimes they do and sometimes they don't.
Looks like a nice car. Have fun with her.

I cant see the other pics I posted ... Oh well.
Ya, it has a floor shifter. Not sure what that's all about.

Hello, I have a 71 roadrunner originally EV2, 383, 4 speed, bench seat car. Now Black, 440, 4 speed, bucket seat car. Needs worked over, great engine, four point roll bar, frame connected, blow proof bell housing, rebuilt A833, Aluminum radiator, runs and drives. $12,000.00

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back