• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Was this '68 Charger R/T really worth $60k?

Stereolab42

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:16 AM
Reaction score
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 440

Have to assume non-numbers based on the reluctance of the seller to go looking for the VIN stamp. I poked around threads here and it seems the consensus is that '68 Charger 440 blocks were indeed VIN-stamped, typically near the oil pressure sender (not in the same locations as future years). Also there were significant concerns raised about rust. One can either believe that photos like this:

1680244544721.png

Are isolated cases, or that the whole car is a perfumed pig with cleverly hidden rot based on what I think are a reasonable number of other clues in other photos. Personally I wouldn't have touched this for half the price, but Charger-mania seems to have no end.

Hard to say. Nice color combo and looks great with those wheels but could be a rusty money pit. Assuming (and it's a big assumption) the rust is isolated, it's a decent driver quality car that would turn a lot of heads, and when shells in fields with trees growing out of the engine bay are selling for $20k then I suppose it could almost be considered value for money. It  should be a $30k car but those days are gone it seems.

I'd rather lay down $60k for a 67 GTX in great condition or maybe spring another $10-$20k for a 66 Hemi Satellite.

Last edited:
The way its bubbling and blistering on the lower sections makes me think that it might be a flood car.

My 73 had rust starting at the quarter to rocker seam like that.

The rest of the car is absolutely rust free.

...or it could be a previous patch from that starting to come out.

Which does beg the question- if that, then what else.

I went over mine thoroughly and couldn't find any more anywhere.

Knowing the common rust prone areas per the body style is a big help.

...coupled with physically touching the car.

My 73 had rust starting at the quarter to rocker seam like that.

The rest of the car is absolutely rust free.

...or it could be a previous patch from that starting to come out.

Which does beg the question- if that, then what else.

I went over mine thoroughly and couldn't find any more anywhere.

Knowing the common rust prone areas per the body style is a big help.

...coupled with physically touching the car.
That is a common place for rust thru and bubbles. Moisture and incorrect prep is the cause.

For me no but realistically I think that probably is the going rate these days.
A lot of us old guys are enthusiasts and couldn't live with the imperfections. I think more and more of the "auction buyer" types do more of an activity similiar to buying a new car. These guys don't get their hands dirty and just buy an old car, maybe drive it for a few short years, maybe pay a shop to do a few maintenance items then sell it in essentially the same condition they bought it. A new car depreciates and maybe they lose money on their old car and maybe they make money on it but they just accept it.

For me no but realistically I think that probably is the going rate these days.
A lot of us old guys are enthusiasts and couldn't live with the imperfections. I think more and more of the "auction buyer" types do more of an activity similiar to buying a new car. These guys don't get their hands dirty and just buy an old car, maybe drive it for a few short years, maybe pay a shop to do a few maintenance items then sell it in essentially the same condition they bought it. A new car depreciates and maybe they lose money on their old car and maybe they make money on it but they just accept it.
Agreed

It was a quick flip on the part of the seller

As Richard Rawlings would say, "there's an *** for every seat". They probably bought it simply because it's an R/T and looks purty on the outside for the most part.
(edit: realized it sold for that)

I read an article about BAT that stated examples of people that buy cars they don't need or don't want. One guy said as much after paying like $8K for some obscure Japanese station wagon simply for the thrill of bidding for it. Could be the same situation here.

I read an article about BAT that stated examples of people that buy cars they don't need or don't want. One guy said as much after paying like $8K for some obscure Japanese station wagon simply for the thrill of bidding for it. Could be the same situation here.
Makes me wonder if the buyer had some external information that it was in fact a numbers car. For me that would be the deciding factor on whether it would be worth the gamble. Otherwise, it makes no sense unless one is filthy rich and feels lucky. Or just absolutely loves the color to death and can't find any other examples. (I do love these pale yellows, but the only color that would be a must-have do-or-die on this gen would be pink lol, and that obviously wouldn't be a '68 Charger).

Makes me wonder if the buyer had some external information that it was in fact a numbers car. For me that would be the deciding factor on whether it would be worth the gamble. Otherwise, it makes no sense unless one is filthy rich and feels lucky. Or just absolutely loves the color to death and can't find any other examples. (I do love these pale yellows, but the only color that would be a must-have do-or-die on this gen would be pink lol, and that obviously wouldn't be a '68 Charger).
Since it isn’t GM, XS29L tells you what it is and what engine it came with. Try that with a GM VIN before 1972 MY.

Since it isn’t GM, XS29L tells you what it is and what engine it came with. Try that with a GM VIN before 1972 MY.
Do people not place as big a premium on Mopars with numbers-matching blocks just because the VIN already verifies the engine type though? I still think this historically adds a lot to the value on the high-end.

I'm glad they do as it affords me the opportunity to buy a real Roadrunner, R/T, etc for a huge discount because the "numbers matching" engine is not present.

Do people not place as big a premium on Mopars with numbers-matching blocks just because the VIN already verifies the engine type though? I still think this historically adds a lot to the value on the high-end.
They seem to. But the whole thing started with Corvettes back in the late 70’s. The VIN didn’t say if your Corvette was an original “Fuelie” or L78 396. Same with Chevelle SS, GTO, 442, GS.

Auto Transport Service
Back