• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Water Neck Leak

Mike Z

Local time
8:39 AM
Reaction score
I have a leaking thermostat housing again. I just replaced the gasket earlier this year. It has one of them tiawaneese chrome ones that came on the car.
Last time I sanded it flat and also the water pump housing new Gasket.
I had the same problem on my 340 I replaced the chrome one for a steel one.
Does anyone know of a American Made steel one I can get.
Thanks,
Mike Z.

I didn't realize a water neck (original) would be hard to find, I did a quick search for one without finding a original but wanted to mention, My 318 did this also when i put a chrome one on it and i found out that a double gasket, slightly longer bolts stopped the problem. Thought id mention it and if i still have it in my parts bin, ive gave away a lot of stuff but if a 318 is the same you can have the one i took off.. I don't remember if it was steel or aluminum though..

You can get an aluminum and steel one from your local autoparts store.

I installed one of those pretty billit ones 3 times,filed it smooth,,,,,,,still leaked.
Reinstalled my 40 year old housing:headbang:

Mancini Billet here. Never leaked again.

Everybody I know that has used a chrome thermostat housing has had to take it off and grind and sand to try to get it to seal, Some get lucky and it seals up and others pitch them and move on. I know several with billet and they get them to seal. I"ll stay with painted steel.

just use a strait edge to check for straitness,file to make it so if needed.clean both sides with brake clean(non residual cleaner)put gaskacinch or permatex #2 on housing and glue gasket into place.(pay attention to assembly times,makes a big difference)then put a light film of quality rtv("the right stuff" works great)on the gasket and the housing.(again,pay attention to assembly instructions)assemble and dont over tighten.i assure you it will not leak.

I know some people are going to cringe at this, but I put a small bottle of Bars leaks in when ever I've restored one of my engine bays. It stops the small annoying leaks that make stains on an otherwise nice looking motor. The leak stop is not to fix a big leak, but for the little annoying ones. Going on more than 10 years with no clogging or other problems most people think it will cause.

I know some people are going to cringe at this, but I put a small bottle of Bars leaks in when ever I've restored one of my engine bays. It stops the small annoying leaks that make stains on an otherwise nice looking motor. The leak stop is not to fix a big leak, but for the little annoying ones. Going on more than 10 years with no clogging or other problems most people think it will cause.
Same here, I use Bars-Leak with good results. No leaks ever. Doesn't hurt ot have a little extra insurance.

So, great!
I'm getting ready to fire up the Hemi soon.
Now I gotta deal with this leak?

Most of the time, people over torque the bolts. They are spaced far apart and have leverage. They are also 3/8" bolts so people think you need to tighten the snot outta them. About 15 LB FT is all they need. Otherwise, they will pull the corners down and leak.

If I'm not mistaken there is a write up on this issue in mopar action. I think they said it was a common problem with big blocks and now someone makes a double o-ring part that should be a permenant fix.

I had success with a stock thermostat housing my dad had laying around.
Damn tiawanesee stuff.
Thanks,
Mike Z.

Auto Transport Service
Back