• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Weiand Tunnel Rams

beanhead

May I Land My Kinky Machine
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:47 PM
Reaction score
Hi all, I posted this in General Tech before and didn't get any solid info, so thought I'd try it here before letting it go....The new Weiand Hi-Rams for RB engines are part #1987, and I see several #5987 manifolds, also referred to as 'stage 2' which seem to be a former model that's available used.
Does anyone know what the differences are between the two, if any?
Thanks

On Weiand tunnel rams for Hemi's they had two different plemun chambers. Early ones had a larger plemun, later were smaller. Don't know if that applies to wedges?

"Stage 2" , to me, implies max wedge. So (MAYBE!, this is just a guess!) one might be standard 440 port, the "stage" version maxwedge ports.

Thanks guys.

"Stage 2" , to me, implies max wedge. So (MAYBE!, this is just a guess!) one might be standard 440 port, the "stage" version maxwedge ports.
That's what I'd heard too, that it had bigger ports...but info on these is convoluted at best. Dwayne P even mentioned (though he wasn't sure) the numbers might have pertained to the bottom half only, so....who knows.
Depending on the next copper scrap-out I might just buy one of each and compare them, and return/sell the one I don't need:D

I’m pretty sure the std port one that I bought new about 20 years ago, and sold a few weeks ago had the “stage II “ on it.
I had some pics of it but deleted them after it sold.

Then, on the other hand there’s this-

1C4FE0F3-C489-497C-8077-EB751D8416E9.png

I think people see the “5987” on the lower piece and think that’s the number for the complete unit.

I think the “1987” is a 1913 top, with a 5987 bottom.

That makes a lot of sense, thanks!

the weiand stage 3 unit had xtra material at the port so if 1 wanted to it could be ported out to max wedge size..

Offenhauser had 1 also that could be hogged out without having to weld xtra material on, there's 1 of these on ebay as we speak...

The Offy on eBay.....I don’t know that there’s enough meat there to get to MW size and still have enough left to properly seal.
Also, true original style MW sized ports have the opening at the floor lower than a std head.

The floor is lower, the roof is higher, the outer wall is wider.

1DB11E46-7BE5-4AE0-A8DE-2CCDC56D17D0.png

Indy heads, std vs MW, the floors are the same height.

Last edited:

A50B4700-4DD2-4224-B234-87FFF463540C.jpeg

Features:1987​

• Carb Flange Center-To Center 9-11/16"
  • 2 x 4 carburetor top
  • Square flange carburetor mounting
  • 2800-8000 RPM power band
  • Special D-shaped port runner design
  • Large volume plenum
  • Height: Front 9.50", Rear 10.31"
  • Port Size: 2.14” height 1.12" width
  • Carb Flange Center-To Center 9-11/16"
  • Weiand Nostalgia Series Intake Manifold

Since you have the catalog, what does it show for the lower half part numbers on page 26?

....And once again,
PRHeads nails it!
He'd earlier suspected what the catalog confirms. Thanks again Dwayne!
r7fyikl.jpg

I've got a TM7 that has a slug of aluminum welded to the top of the port openings, so it could be opened to maxwedge size.
As Dwayne said, the bottom of the manifold at the bottom of the ports is shaky thin.
The porting work is pretty shabby too, but I think it may be too big already, so I'm gonna leave it be.

Auto Transport Service
Back