• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Weird things about my car

Funny thing, I bought the car from the original owner & after I'd loaded it up he mentioned the original steering wheel was in the attic if I cared to climb up there & get it... He wasn't feeling up to going & getting it for me... I climbed up there... Nice wood grained wheel that he took off around 74-75 and put that cool wheel in it's place..
That really reminded me of the day I picked up my car. I was 19 and the guy selling it said I don't know if you want it or not but I put the original wheel in the trunk. I said yes!! He thought I was weird for wanting to replace the same aftermarket wheel you had with the original black 3 spoke.

If it came from the factory with a painted roof, then someone sanded off the paint except for the A and C pillars and then primered it and put the vinyl top on. Doesn't sound likely.

There is a few things about my car that are a little bit weird. My car is a real WS23 '68 Coronet R/T, 440 4 speed car. LL1 paint. I have owned the car for 30 years.
The first thing that doesn't make sense is the vinyl top. When I bought the car it had a white vinyl top on it. It was starting to deteriorate back then, but was mostly all there. The chrome trim strips and everything . I eventually stripped it off and underneath is mostly just a primer, not much paint except for up to the top of the windows on the a pillar and c pillar.
I assumed that it was a factory vinyl top, until I learned how to read the fender tag. I even had to unscrew the tag and clean it up real good to be sure, but it does not show there to be a vinyl top on this car from the factory.
I wonder if that was a mistake and they didn't mark it on the fender tag, or if somebody just added it later.
I was going to put a new vinyl top, but now I am not sure if I should.
The second thing is the engine stamp on the bottom near the oil pan is wrong.
It is a D 440 HP2, stamped on the top of the motor, but on the bottom it is stamped as a 383.
The third thing is the Tachometer. On the fender tag it says its supposed to be a clock with tach, but its just a tach. This is not a ralleye dash.

I found a build sheet under the back seat, and left it alone all those years, until recently and I carefully got it out and it is for a different car. Still a 68 RT, but a red car with an automatic.
I wonder if it was mistakenly put in wrong car or somebody changed the seats before I got the car.

One more is the Inland shifter on the 4 speed. This is a non console car. Did R/Ts come with inland shifters or just Hurst. I know that this isnt original to this car, but I think its cool and different.

Does anybody have any insight on this, or have weird things on there cars?

View attachment 1215708 View attachment 1215709 View attachment 1215712 View attachment 1215713

With black stripes...

20211231_170839.jpg 20211231_170903.jpg

We had a LL1 67 Charger, 383 auto great car. Sold it to get the 440 4 gear GG1. I wouldn’t be surprised if 68 LL1 is a different shade from 68.
The color is different 67 to 68. But both are nice.

90D6DE78-16EE-462D-B39A-7C8FDDDFEF3A.png

Couldn't have. I just worked on a one owner 68 R/T with the same 9/67 build date and it had the partial VIN stamped on both the engine and trans. Maybe different plants had different policies regarding that practice, but it must have been done during the entire '68 production run.

I have a 18 spline trans in my possession that has a '68 Hamtramck partial vin stamped on it.

The primered area is not the only place a vinyl top can induce rust.

Many Mopars have lost parts of their C pillars and/or dutchman panels to vinyl tops.

Auto Transport Service
Back