• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Weird things about my car

Too much is made of those build sheets. Many original cars never got them, and some like yours got one from a different car. On the standard dash for an R/T you got a 150 MPH speedo, and optionally a clock, tachometer, or oil pressure gauge. You could only get one of those three.

The oil pressure gauge was probably more of a dealer installed thing, as it was more apt to be in a police package “K” car.

Really?? Funny mine & quite a few others got the Rally Dash which comes with the Tic Tic Tach.... Actually the tach with the standard gauges is quite a bit rarer than the Tic Tic Tach... Either Tach shows on the fender tag the same way, a 7 under the T... The build sheet would show it but the fender tag gets a 7 either way....

So late 68 Dodges could have had a rally dash then? Or just Super Bees? R/T's?

Early 68 Dodges could have the Rally dash.. Chargers all had the Rally dash... My Coronet has a SPD or Sept 11th 1967 and car came with a rally dash...

IMG_0086.JPG
IMG_0031.JPG

I see alot of these cars with that same kind of steering wheel, including mine. They can almost be considered "original".

Funny thing, I bought the car from the original owner & after I'd loaded it up he mentioned the original steering wheel was in the attic if I cared to climb up there & get it... He wasn't feeling up to going & getting it for me... I climbed up there... Nice wood grained wheel that he took off around 74-75 and put that cool wheel in it's place..

Really?? Funny mine & quite a few others got the Rally Dash which comes with the Tic Tic Tach.... Actually the tach with the standard gauges is quite a bit rarer than the Tic Tic Tach... Either Tach shows on the fender tag the same way, a 7 under the T... The build sheet would show it but the fender tag gets a 7 either way....
I wasn’t sure. More of a ‘68 Plymouth guy! The GTX only got the Belvedere cluster. But with a 150MPH speedo. I’ve got the 1-15 for mine, but got an aftermarket 10-150 lense for it. The oil pressure gauge for the standard cluster is pretty rare.

Funny thing, I bought the car from the original owner & after I'd loaded it up he mentioned the original steering wheel was in the attic if I cared to climb up there & get it... He wasn't feeling up to going & getting it for me... I climbed up there... Nice wood grained wheel that he took off around 74-75 and put that cool wheel in it's place..
I remember them "back in the day" nobody wanted a boring old "original" steering wheel... now I wish I had a nice original one!

I wasn’t sure. More of a ‘68 Plymouth guy! The GTX only got the Belvedere cluster. But with a 150MPH speedo. I’ve got the 1-15 for mine, but got an aftermarket 10-150 lense for it.

Yours must be early too? Yeah, I never understood why the GTX didn't get the rally dash...

The primer under the vinyl sounds about right, factory did not (as far as I know) put paint on the roof of the car, seeing how that a vinyl top was to be installed.

The primer under the vinyl sounds about right, factory did not (as far as I know) put paint on the roof of the car, seeing how that a vinyl top was to be installed.
Thats what makes sense. I guess I could go either way, if I wanted, put a vinyl top back on it and tell the story of how it had it, or paint the roof like the fender tag says it should be...

Thats what makes sense. I guess I could go either way, if I wanted, put a vinyl top back on it and tell the story of how it had it, or paint the roof like the fender tag says it should be...

Paint it!!

If it were my car, I'd properly document it and do it back up original.
It's a neat oddity, and I personally like vinyl.

Tell me why I should paint it. Why would that be better? In your opinion.

Lot of cars developed rust under the vinyl top... But that makes sense when you realize there was only primer so the metal wasn't sealed... Moisture would get under the vinyl & couldn't dry so rust formed...

If you paint the roof before putting a vinyl top on you've eliminated the problem...

If you prefer the look with the top keep the top.. Either way it's a great car & no one could dispute whether it's correct...

If it were my car, I'd properly document it and do it back up original.
It's a neat oddity, and I personally like vinyl.
That's what i would do. Take a pic of the roof of the car especially in case some "expert" tries to refute it.

Here’s the somewhat rare oil pressure gauge for the standard cluster. Probably mostly in police cars, with the 120 MPH certified speedo. So the clock, tach, or this all occupied that spot.
24A59BB4-C694-4863-BAB8-1707851E08F0.jpeg

I have a picture of it from 30 years ago, when I bought it, but it is a real picture!! I have to dig it up and scan it, so I can post it.

Here’s the somewhat rare oil pressure gauge for the standard cluster. Probably mostly in police cars, with the 120 MPH certified speedo. So the clock, tach, or this all occupied that spot.View attachment 1215907
I always wondered why my car didnt have a oil pressure gauge, There is no place to put it!! I have the "idiot" light, but dont know if it works. I teed the line to an aftermarket gauge, as well as the light, but I dont know when it will come on because it runs around 80 lbs or oil pressure.

Tell me why I should paint it. Why would that be better? In your opinion.

Since it came with a painted roof, I would go back to a painted roof. That and like painted roofs better lol.

But like has been said, it's purely a personal choice. Yer car, yer choice!

Since it came with a painted roof, I would go back to a painted roof. That and like painted roofs better lol.

But like has been said, it's purely a personal choice. Yer car, yer choice!
But did it come with a painted roof? Thats the question... haha. There is no paint on the roof, above the pillars...

Auto Transport Service
Back