• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Welding shifter

Snowbug778

Local time
10:29 PM
Reaction score
So on my column shifter on my 71 charger the plastic knob broke off. And i have an 8ball shifter i want to put on it instead, i want to weld it on but just want to make sure, would it ruin my shift lever if i welded the knob on? And what kind of medal is it? And would i even be able to weld it on becuase of the medal? The pic is before the black knob broke off

8C77B67F-F2C9-42B0-A1C0-BD5CE9A0B286.png

Not likely. You will just have to get a different shifter handle. It might be possible to glue the 8 ball onto the new handle. Do you have a picture of the 8 ball? Is it a real pool ball, or a real shifter handle?

Its a glass ball but its metal on the bottom, i dont see a reason why it wouldn’t weld unless the medal on the shifter rod is a weird medal. I sadly dont have a picture of the back of the ball. But i do have this pic below

D042956B-46A0-495F-B149-E6AD8C51317D.png

I think that shifter was steel, for strength. Go for it!
Mike

I think that shifter was steel, for strength. Go for it!
I'd like to think so too, but really doubt it.... I always thought those were plain old pot metal.

I'd like to think so too, but really doubt it.... I always thought those were plain old pot metal.
we tried tapping it last night and it just shaved it off and it looked like steel underneath but i am going to make sure before i weld it

The inside of the collet ended up being aluminum and we found of the hard way…. We got it off and we are going to aproxy it

Auto Transport Service
Back