• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Went to the track Friday. What should I try next?

Nothing wrong with the crossram, in an application for which it was designed. Remember, that intake was on a 413 with a .500 lift cam originally. And it is impressive looking.
But if I remember right, Doug Wright said that his Indy "crossram" (not really) was 75 hp better than the factory ram..... with the same carbs.

Go to Moparts and look up 383man (Ron)

63 Sport Fury-Street car
3900 lb race weight
500 in
EZ heads by PRH
264/270 solid flat tappet, 0.580” lift
10.6:1 CR
Full exhaust system
850 DP on an Indy dual plane intake

10.70s at 125 mph

You should be making more power than Ron, in a lighter car.

Again, I would be looking for the missing 50 hp as a first order of business

Go to Moparts and look up 383man (Ron)

63 Sport Fury-Street car
3900 lb race weight
500 in
EZ heads by PRH
264/270 solid flat tappet, 0.580” lift
10.6:1 CR
Full exhaust system
850 DP on an Indy dual plane intake

10.70s at 125 mph

You should be making more power than Ron, in a lighter car.

Again, I would be looking for the missing 50 hp as a first order of business
I'm familiar with Ron's car and build. The only real difference in our cars is he has flat tappet cam I'm roller. And the intake setups. He ran 10.70s-80s out of the box thru mufflers. I would be happy with 10.70. I'm going to do a compression check again and put the single plane intake on.

Just thought I'd ask, as nobody else has. Is your crossram an original max port intake, or the A&A 440 port version?

I'm going to do a compression check again and put the single plane intake on.

Good idea to see if the x-ram is holding it back, or not.

What you’re experiencing is why I always dyno test any engine I build.
Then you’d know before you put the motor in the car if the required power for the ET target was achieved.

I don’t know exactly what affect the intake swap will have on the power, but a pretty similar build here made 675+ with the Indy intake.

The car it went into wouldn’t run 10’s at first, but they eventually got it into the mid-10’s without any changes to the engine.

Imo, for the combination……..both ends of the run could use improvement.
The 60’ is off, and so is the speed.

I’d also like to hear exactly what the two converters are……..and what the exhaust system situation is.

Last edited:
Though the crossram isn't the best. The converter is off. I would think low 1.5/high 1.4 60 ft. I've had similar combo go 10.40@127 in hot weather. Though a bit lighter at 3450. I would think it should go 10.70's or better.
Doug

Last edited:
Good idea to see if the x-ram is holding it back, or not.

What you’re experiencing is why I always dyno test any engine I build.
Then you’d know before you put the motor in the car if the required power for the ET target was achieved.

I don’t know exactly what affect the intake swap will have on the power, but a pretty similar build here made 675+ with the Indy intake.

The car it went into wouldn’t run 10’s at first, but they eventually got it into the mid-10’s without any changes to the engine.

Imo, for the combination……..both ends of the run could use improvement.
The 60’ is off, and so is the speed.

I’d also like to hear exactly what the two converters are……..and what the exhaust system situation is.
The first converter is a PTC 9-1/2 I ordered for this motor. I told Kenny it was a strip/street car. It flashed 4200. The other converter is also a 9-1/2 PTC that I had in the car with the old 440. Kenny said it would stall more with the stroker it does 5100 rpm. It may be to much. The exhaust is 2in TTI headers with 3in exhaust to turbo mufflers. I have cutouts at the collectors that are uncapped. The car has only seen maybe 20 street miles. I realized I don't care to drive on the street.

Though the crossram isn't the best. The converter is off. I would think low 1.5/high 1.4 60 ft. I'v ehad similar combo go 10.40@127 in hot weather. Though a bit lighter at 3450. I would think it should go 10.70's or better.
Doug
I'm going to call PTC and see what he has to say

Woke my car up out of a deep sleep and still can drive in NYC traffic. 9.5 inch 4800 stall. Trans temps no further than 190 degrees.
I'm not to concerned about street driving. I live in the middle of nowhere (deer country). So my trips are short 10miles or less. I will update on what they recommend.

:lowdown:<----That's my best way for me to express how impressive I find that, that your car can do that, and that you do that!
:thumbsup:
@HEMI-ITIS also comes to mind!
Thank you. I think weight........ or lack of it allows for more street friendly behavior from the converter. 410 geared. As far as dealing cards with cars in NYC traffic, let's just say I have Fly eyes on all corners though much of the time the traffic is watching me. LOL.

My experience with shift points. First torque flites have a pretty long time lag on the 1/2 shift. They don't slip. Just takes time to fill the band servo. The quicker the car, the earlier you need to shift to hit your target rpm. This time remains constant, regardless of ET. The quicker the car, the earlier you need to shift. On the 1/2 I'd start 400 RPM early. Might even take 600 rpm early. Unless you have a playback tack or film the tach you'lll never know when it right. Second crossrams on a big motor don't like a lot of RPM. That intake was designed for a 413" motor turning maybe 6000 tops. They can be effective. when used in the correct range. For sure there is stuff thats quicker.
Doug

I have to agree with those that said your trap speed is low. My much milder 500 (approximately 575 hp) in a similar weight car would trap at 120 in full street trim.

Check out my thread below on the changes I have made to my car and the results it has yielded. We have similar set ups. It took a lot of work, but I did get into the 10's.

What Will It Run?

I'm not to concerned about street driving. I live in the middle of nowhere (deer country). So my trips are short 10miles or less. I will update on what they recommend.

I am in Wisconsin too - where do you typically race, and isnt all of Wisco deer country :)

Historically these type of situations always seem to lead to a converter. Given that everything else is on point. But I suspect that intake, although bad ***, may be the first thing I would try and swap out.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back