• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What’s a Belvedere?

:rofl::rofl: I should red X you for that.
Plymouth is actually a step backwards from Dodge in the Chrysler family hierarchy. But Chevy is also the bottom of the model lines compared to Buick and/or Oldsmobile, but for GM.

But that too matters not. Plymouth and Pontiac carried their parent companies thru what I believe the greatest performance wars in US automotive design history. The 1960s.

And what was the thanks they got?

ZomboDroid 19062022224442.jpg

Plymouth is actually a step backwards from Dodge in the Chrysler family hierarchy. But Chevy is also the bottom of the model lines compared to Buick and/or Oldsmobile, but for GM.

But that too matters not. Plymouth and Pontiac carried their parent companies thru what I believe the greatest performance wars in US automotive design history. The 1960s.

And what was the thanks they got?

View attachment 1569650
The RoadRunner was a big seller for sure. Built cheap, light, and powerful.

The RoadRunner was a big seller for sure. Built cheap, light, and powerful.
I believe the GTX is the finest build Plymouth ever produced.

I understand I'm a bit bias, but I owned a base model '69 RoadRunner sitting side by side with my current base model '69 GTX. It wasn't close. (With the understanding that RoadRunner could have the GTX goodies if enough check boxes are applied.) But base model to base model? Nope.

ZomboDroid 29052021163047.jpg

I believe the GTX is the finest build Plymouth ever produced.

I understand I'm a bit bias, but I owned a base model '69 RoadRunner sitting side by side with my current base model '69 GTX. It wasn't close. (With the understanding that RoadRunner could have the GTX goodies if enough check boxes are applied.) But base model to base model? Nope.

View attachment 1569655
GTX was a top of the line Belvedere. RoadRunner was in the middle. You could get a slant 6 in a Belve but not in a RR or GTX. Same with a 318. 383's were available in Belve's and RR's but not in GTX'S. Basically all the same car but 3 different trim and power levels. But it's interesting, you could get a Hemi in all the models.

Last edited:
So the 1970 Sport Satellite has almost the exact same trim as the GTX. Big and main difference were the motors.

My build is to say what if Chrysler/Plymouth put a 340 SB performance motor in the Sport Satellite! In fact this in my opinion is what they SHOULD have done!

After all how can you call it a “Sport” anything “Belvedere” lol with a 318? 340’s were certainly available that year and top tier Challengers like the AAR I believe were 340’s.

So the 1970 Sport Satellite has almost the exact same trim as the GTX. Big and main difference were the motors.

My build is to say what if Chrysler/Plymouth put a 340 SB performance motor in the Sport Satellite! In fact this in my opinion is what they SHOULD have done!

After all how can you call it a “Sport” anything “Belvedere” lol with a 318? 340’s were certainly available that year and top tier Challengers like the AAR I believe were 340’s.
AAR was a Cuda. Plymouth. Challenger was a Dodge.

The LA series engine was not the choice for the B body performance platform.
The 273 and 318 2 barrel engines powered most of the B bodies but they were the family cars, fleet, taxi and municipal cars. For performance, they used the B/RB engine family. The 340 was the star of the LA family and better suited in the smaller A body cars for a reason.
Many performance B body cars needed more torque (Than you'd get from a 340) due to their increased weight over an A body.
The 340 wasn't available in a B body until what....1971? Even then, the cars were underpowered compared to the 383 4 barrel.

Oy...
A belvedere /ˈbɛlvɪdɪər/ or belvidere (from Italian for "beautiful view") is an architectural structure sited
to take advantage of a fine or scenic view.

In the 50's, Plymouth named their cars after New York Hotels: Belvedere, Savoy, Plaza. (except Fury)

Dodge named their cars after Royalty: Royal & Coronet, either could be a Lancer (Lancer meant hardtop roof, both 2 and 4 door).

In early 1994 my boss and I had business in Rockford. We went east on RT 20 and drove through Belvedere. And there was the assembly plant with ACRES of new Neons waiting to be sent. I think there was an issue with the early cars and they hadn't been released yet.

In early 1994 my boss and I had business in Rockford. We went east on RT 20 and drove through Belvedere. And there was the assembly plant with ACRES of new Neons waiting to be sent. I think there was an issue with the early cars and they hadn't been released yet.
There were always a lot full of cars there. They built them faster than they could get transported. Semi trailers only carry 8 at a time. Train cars many more. They switched from Neon's to the new Darts and Jeeps. THe lots around the plant were full of those too.
belvidere-je_hpMain_20230228-072737_16x9_992.jpg

Last edited:

The plant is idled now but there's hope for the future.​

Future[edit]​

According to the 2023 UAW contract with Stellantis, a mid-size Ram pickup has been planned for production at this assembly plant in 2027.

Past[edit]​

Some of the past models made at the plant included:

I always liked the Plymouth styling over the Dodge personally, in particular the mid 60's thru early 70's.
The '66 & '67 are by far my favorite years for the Belvedere.

Although I'd personally prefer a non-modified driver in either year, it's pretty cool what has been done to these (2) '66s that I've had to go back and watch many times in amazement.

Belvedere II side trim with hidden gas cap medallion is bad-***!

Auto Transport Service
Back