• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What’s a Belvedere?

All that "innovation" but corvette didn't get rack and pinion steering until after the pinto and fairmont!

Corvettes are junk.

Now, what was this thread about again? :popcorn:

I get that, but price class does not always equal the best or most desired!
Lets have a friendly comparison.
PS: I own a 66 Coronet a 71 Satellite and a 71 Challenger. So my opinion is far from biased!

1966-67 Plymouth Belvedere / Satellite / GTX or Dodge Coronet / 500 / RT.....favor is the Plymouth for some weird reason! The Coronet has way better body lines.

1968-70 Plymouth Belvedere / Satellite / road runner / GTX or Dodge Coronet / 500 / Super bee......close competition but again Plymouth probably leads. It does for me.

1970-74 Plymouth Barracuda or Dodge Challenger.......popularity numbers say Plymouth. Again, I don't understand why!

1971-74 Plymouth Belvedere / Satellite / road runner / GTX or Dodge Charger.........I choose Plymouth here.

I did not include the 67-69 Barracuda or 66-70 Charger because there are no direct model comparisons.

It is my observation and conclusion, but I think most prefer Plymouth models.

Plymouth, a step up from Dodge! :)

Last edited:
I get that, but price class does not always equal the best or most desired!
Lets have a friendly comparison.
PS: I own a 66 Coronet a 71 Satellite and a 71 Challenger. So my opinion is far from biased!

1966-67 Plymouth Belvedere / Satellite / GTX or Dodge Coronet / 500 / RT.....favor is the Plymouth for some weird reason! The Coronet has way better body lines.

1968-70 Plymouth Belvedere / Satellite / road runner / GTX or Dodge Coronet / 500 / Super bee......close competition but again Plymouth probably leads. It does for me.

1970-74 Plymouth Barracuda or Dodge Challenger.......popularity numbers say Plymouth. Again, I don't understand why!

1971-74 Plymouth Belvedere / Satellite / road runner / GTX or Dodge Charger.........I choose Plymouth here.

I did not include the 67-69 Barracuda or 66-70 Charger because there are no direct model comparisons.

It is my observation and conclusion, but I think most prefer Plymouth models.

Plymouth, a step up from Dodge! :)
If price class = desirability, then Imperials would be the most popular.

That sounds funny to me. The reason is I have restored several Chevrolets 73 Z28 Camaro and a 71 Corvette. Both totally different. Having unique designs for their time. From four wheel disc brakes, independent suspension, fiber optic light monitoring, fiberglass body, curved body lines, close ratio shifters and steering, hidden headlights , hidden wipers, telescopic antenna…..
The GTX was the same as all the other bbodies. I have a 70 Sport Satellite which is almost Identical to the GTX. I have taken every piece of trim off the car. Imo it’s cheesy and cheap. Mopar wanted to platform cars before anyone else. They wanted to build cheap. They succeeded!
Don’t get me wrong I love them but you have to look at the whole picture when looking at these cars. The GTX was just like any other bbody but with some cheap *** tape in the doors and dash and a few chrome pieces…. Just my observation.
Unpopular opinion around here I imagine, but basically true.
The BASIC CAR is the same throughout the line, i.e. B bodies. [well, across Plymouth, I dont know much about those down market dodges... ;) ] Theres a bit more difference than trim - suspension variables, differentials and obviously trim - but yes, the basic Belvedere and the GTX are the same car with bolt on options. The same could be said, for example, of GM A bodies in the 60s and 70s, tho the homogeneity wasnt quite as extreme; a 442 was basically a Cutlass with lots of different bolt on parts and trim and was similar to the same year Chevelle, Tempest etc. Another Mopar first! Platform sharing and badge engineering! :)
Across the board, the Mopars were less expensive, and occasionally it shows in component quality, especially in trim and sheetmetal. They were also lighter and usually faster. I think thats one reason we like em. They were engineered differently - think unibody vs body on frame, torsion bars and such. Occasionally the engineering was superior too! And while styling is subjective, Chrysler seemed to either swing and miss or hit it outta the park; compare a 64 Plymouth to its midsize GM or Ford counterparts - no comparison. Both 67 and 70 B bodied Plymouths are much more stylish and attractive than say a Chevelle imnsho.
Corvettes are a completely different kettle of fish. I simply dont understand all the Corvette hate in the world; won't get into my opinions on the sociological and psychological forces at play, but sufficeth to say that the Corvette is really an impressive machine, especially when you consider what Chevrolet did with BASICALLY a 55 Chevy, better brakes and a plastic body. [Im talking pre 84 cars here, which are the only ones that count to me...]
All that being said, I would still rather have a GTX than a plain Belvedere, but just cant afford one! :)

I'm not against improving what you have. Dodge and Plymouth used the 340 on the E body platform, cars that in some instances weighed more than some B body cars.
It can be done but you're starting out at a disadvantage with a smaller cube engine.
That isn't meant to be an insult. It is the way the factory did it. It was easier to build power with more cubic inches.
I had a friend that chose to build a stroked 340 for his 71 Challenger even after I offered a free 440 for him to build. He had that engine apart 3 or more times during the time that I knew him. I understand the desire to be different but common sense should factor in as well.
Thinking about trading my fresh 440 that's not complete for a running 360 to put in my 66 Belvedere.....
KD it’s not about common sense or what’s easiest. It’s about wanting to do something. Last engine I built had over 650HP 496 ci. That was in a Corvette. THAT wasn’t easy or fun to get there. My 70 Belvedere came with a small block drivetrain and I was tired of big blocks. So here I am partly going with the flow and partly creating something I want. If I wanted fast I would buy a new Supercharged car and be done with it. But there ain’t no fun in that is there…..
Read my reply to KD just above.....
It means "beautiful view"

View attachment 1570815
Dang, you make that car look small lol. 6'5" and 250?

So originally I thought a Belvedere was a room with a nice view. Then I thought it was a mediocre vodka. Then it was some bland Plymouth brand of cars. Then I realized I have one. So what the hell is a Belvedere anyway?
Belvedere was the top of line Plymouth model in 57 and 58. My first car was a 58 Belvedere. So was the famous Christine a 58 Plymouth.

I really like the styling of the '63 - early '70's Plymouths over the Dodges.

I bought a Coronet project because it was $3,000 less than I could find a comparable '65 Satellite.

Then two weeks later I found a Satellite 5 miles from my house for less than I paid for my Dodge.

Oh yeah

D4267D84-5B12-4A51-81CE-A1ECEF15AE79.jpeg

78F11FA3-005B-4445-9078-518241831E88.jpeg

CA0A493C-A3F1-4653-972A-CC9542B2110D.jpeg

I really like the styling of the '63 - early '70's Plymouths over the Dodges.

I bought a Coronet project because it was $3,000 less than I could find a comparable '65 Satellite.

Then two weeks later I found a Satellite 5 miles from my house for less than I paid for my Dodge.

Classic "Murphy's law" right there.

Our oven mitt was getting worn, so my wife bought a new one.

That weekend, we won one in a white elephant gift exchange.

I had a girlfriend in HS for about 3 weeks named "Belva".

She was an air force brat formerly stationed in Germany.

She certainly had German upbringing views about sexuality.

Was nice while it lasted.

I don't believe I ever called her "Belva, dear".

That was the way old people talked.

Ah so a Belvedere is a girl from Germany who doesn’t go by Belva and from what I can tell was a dear. Now it’s all clear what the heck is a Belvedere!

Auto Transport Service
Back