• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What’s the most useless tool you have ever bought?

I got a free battery powered adjustable wrench (hand-me-down). Ok, not "bought", but the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen. I had to have it - It's hanging on the wall and I crack a smile very time I see it.

One for me? A Craftsman 3/8" drive inch pound torque wrench. The ratcheting mechanism broke (or doesn't work right) right after the warranty ran out (it is not one of the "warranted forever" tools). It was a gift, but is expensive. And it is crap!
20211124_211604.jpg

This is crazy, but I actually found it sad.
Wife bought one of those brooms that have the dust pan that clicks onto the handle. The broom snapped in half literally within seconds of using it. I was just sweeping crumbs off the kitchen floor. Absolutely no way that this thing would last.

Wife worked with super flamboyant gay guy that was about to pass, due to cancer. He was selling off all of his possessions. We go to his garage sale. He has this roller cabinet style tool box for forty bucks. Piece of crap, but we are essentially doing a charity thing here so we buy it and some other stuff.
This thing was made from the thinnest possible metal. You could dent the doors by pushing on them with your finger, twist the shelves between your hands. You could have crushed it like a beer can by hugging it. Flimsy.
So I sell it on the local Facebook buy and sell page, and I describe it honestly, saying it would be good for storing light stuff like seeds or sewing stuff.
Lady comes to pick it up.
I tell her where we got it, and tell her that it’s the gayest tool box I’ve ever seen.
She gives me a glare that would peel paint.

Last edited:
This is crazy, but I actually found it sad.
Wife bought one of those brooms that have the dust pan that clicks onto the handle. The broom snapped in half literally within seconds of using it. I was just sweeping crumbs off the kitchen floor. Absolutely no way that this thing would last.
You should get a dog. Lol

I do have a good tool story. I bought a 2 stage (but small tank ) Craftsman portable air compressor when Sears was just starting to close up shop. (Very similar to pic) is was going for 60% off so I thought why not? I'll probably find some use. I have beat the crap out of that thing. Including 2 roof jobs. A complete spray and knockdown home remodel with multiple guns. Drives 2 impact wrenches all day. (But you do have to give some time for the tank to refill time to time.) And that thing still sings.

spin_prod_206447101.jpeg

Against my better judgement I bought one of those 18" sheet metal brakes from Horror Freight, because I needed to make some small brackets. Even for little things, I could see it was gonna suck. I took it back and the employee that gave me the refund even said "yeah those things are pretty useless..." I was like, "thanks a lot:rolleyes:"

I have too many mis-matched 3/8 drive sockets and screwdrivers. I've parted out cars that had tools in them, I've cleared out parts stashes that included worthless tools.
Nut drivers, screwdrivers with tips so soft, you could almost chew the metal....Pliers guaranteed to give blood blisters, side cutters that cut through about 80% of most everything, leaving the rest so you have to take a second bite to finish. Sheet metal tin snips that can't cut a straight edge for more than an inch...

I am laughing so hard at most of these posts. What do you guys think? Quality tools for a bargain price? LMFAO I spent 28 years in the truck and did my best to stock only the best quality USA made tools. Price isn't the object, quality counts. :rofl::rofl:

I am laughing so hard at most of these posts. What do you guys think? Quality tools for a bargain price? LMFAO I spent 28 years in the truck and did my best to stock only the best quality USA made tools. Price isn't the object, quality counts. :rofl::rofl:
I agree in spirit. Sometimes it makes sense for newbies to buy the cheap stuff since they are making less money.
I remember one time at a self service yard, a guy was pulling an engine a couple of cars over. He had a big toolbox with what looked like every cheap tool that Harbor Freight sold. Every tool was new. He didn't look like he knew what he was doing with that car.
One time at Harbor Freight, I stood in line behind a guy from a Honda dealership. I asked him...What the heck are you doing buying this stuff???
He said that for jobs he does only a few times a year, he isn't going to buy an expensive tool that will last a lifetime.
For work tools, I do buy the good stuff but my tool inventory cost but a fraction of what a mechanic has!

This is the most useless tool. Can't figure out how to hook it up to my valve stem.
Penis-Pump-Penis-Enlargement-NyVwROhr.jpeg.thumb_800x800.jpg

I got this to clean my toilet. Doesn't do a very good job. I tried flushing it last November but it kept floating back to the surface and circling the bowl.

Yeah, I once had high hopes for that tool too. But it only made the task more difficult, and actually became part of the scunge problem on the toilet. I love the state it was manufactured in, but I can't understand why they keep producing this piece of garbage.

Auto Transport Service
Back