• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What adhesive did you use to replace your vinyl top?

SteveSS

Local time
2:58 PM
Reaction score
My replacement vinyl top will arrive in a few days. My mobile mechanic will help me install it. I could go down to the local car paint store but stuff down there is so damn expensive. I was hoping for something off eBay or Amazon.

3M super adhesive. Spray can. It’s all stupid expensive no matter where it comes from.

Super trim adhesive- i had to buy a second can whe ivdid mine a few weeks ago

Don't cheap out on this! I did, and had to remove the entire top and adhesive.

I've read elsewhere, don't use the spray can stuff. I really hate to try to spray it with a gun though. Hoover, can you expand on that brand of super-trim adhesive?

1688603035873.png

My replacement vinyl top will arrive in a few days. My mobile mechanic will help me install it. I could go down to the local car paint store but stuff down there is so damn expensive. I was hoping for something off eBay or Amazon.
I had a good friend who is an auto-upholsterer by trade.

He uses Ados F2 from what I can remember....from a well-used spray gun.

Vinyl roof installation.jpg

Chalk-line edges to get a rough cut for installation, masked up car with painters drop sheet plastic, and sprayed glue onto prepared roof - primer and 2K with tinter.

DAP High Heat Resistant Landau Top Adhesive
Amazon product ASIN B004IH3HAQ
First mask up the car thoroughly & tightly the better you mask the less you'll be cleaning later...

Find and mark the centerline side to side of your roof, fold your new top also side to side, backside exposed....
No glue yet... lay the top on roof, lining the fold point up with the marked centerline.. Shift the top front to rear to line up the A pillar covering....
Clamp the top in the window channel areas front & rear (you'll probably need to cut some material out of the rear window area) Then use a few more clamps to secure just one layer of the top to the side that won't be getting glued down at first....
Time for glue... spray a even coat over the exposed roof and the exposed backside of the top....
Leave the clamps that secure the single layer of the top but remove the first two which clamp both layers of the top...
Lay your hands flat on the top & pull toward the side of the car, done correctly the top just rolls onto most of the roof... You'll need to do some stretching especially at the rear but that rolling technique gets probably 80% of the install done quick & easy... I've never done one myself but I've watched a master do it dozens of times & that's exactly how he does it.... I haven't done it not because I can't but because my cars don't have roofs... So really I guess I can't....

Last edited:
I used 3M spray on mine 3 years ago. It’s held up well, nothing coming loose or bubbles.

26F60973-6462-4A32-BFA5-EF4B9F94560E.jpeg

1108E9BE-94FC-4DF5-A90A-0754A8B2C8BA.jpeg

Get it done professionally you won't regret it.If you do decide to do it yourself don't use spray cans use a proper spray gun and quality contact adhesive.If you don't know a trimmer you may know a guy who does kitchens/ laminate tops they use top quality contact adhesive. I'm an auto trimmer by trade believe me it's not that easy but not that hard if you know what your doing & not a lot of room for error. Best of luck

I've read elsewhere, don't use the spray can stuff. I really hate to try to spray it with a gun though. Hoover, can you expand on that brand of super-trim adhesive?
Why ? it's just the method of applying the adhesive. Do it right and it's fine.

they said the chemical formula was different in a spay can. Like it was thinner but it was more complicated than that. Trust me if a spray can works it sounds good to me.

Why ? it's just the method of applying the adhesive. Do it right and it's fine.
The only reason I can see to not use a spray can is that the flow and quantity of product coming out the nozzle is probably less tha what is required for the job. Spray cans can also easily block up part way through the job, causing grief.

A compressor and spray pot full of glue would be a more robust solution.

The only reason I can see to not use a spray can is that the flow and quantity of product coming out the nozzle is probably less tha what is required for the job. Spray cans can also easily block up part way through the job, causing grief.

A compressor and spray pot full of glue would be a more robust solution.
I've done a few using 3M in the spray cans. None, including the top I put on my car 10 years ago ever had a problem.

Auto Transport Service
Back