• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are these

ksurfer2

Local time
10:33 AM
Reaction score
So i am almost done reinstalling motor after it was out for a rebuild. When I took it apart, this blue wire with the 90degree fitting on the end was loose, not connected to anything. I have traced the wire and found that it originates at the back of the alternator. Please excuse the poor pic, it was late and I was tired. Is this wire supposed to be hooked up to something? Everything in the car worked.
Wire 1.jpg

I believe this next connector was hooked up to the old distributor and possibly ran the tach (old looking Sun gauge). My new MSD distributor has a different connector. A couple questions, is the connector for the tach (I am thinking it is because I didn't label the wire figuring it would just hook back to the connector, but then I got a new distributor)? If so, can it be modified to fit the MSD connector to run my current tach (I really like the look of it).
Wire 2.jpg

That blue wire should go to the temp sensor just below the distributor. The MSD distributor came with its own harness or adapter? I am sure one is available from MSD so you don't have to splice it in. The two prong connector is for the magnetic pickup assy in the distributor, and not a tach. Buy or make your own adapter between the two in case you need to put the old distributor back in.

That blue wire should go to the temp sensor just below the distributor. The MSD distributor came with its own harness or adapter? I am sure one is available from MSD so you don't have to splice it in. The two prong connector is for the magnetic pickup assy in the distributor, and not a tach. Buy or make your own adapter between the two in case you need to put the old distributor back in.
there is another wire with a similar fitting that is already hooked up to the temp sensor you mentioned. This wire is coming straight from the alternator.

With my new MSD distributor, with the two prong connector (and wiring) be abandoned/removed, as will as the orange box?

If you are only using the distributor, you retain the original wiring and orange box. If you have also gone to a MSD ignition box, it will splice into the wiring harness. It will have a connector for the distributor to connect to the ignition box (6A,6AL, etc...). I highly suggest you don't remove the original wiring connectors just in case you need to revert back if you have a failure with the MSD system. I carried the orange module in the glove box, and actually had to use it when the 6AL box died on me. As far as the blue wire goes, it is hard to tell if it is a flat (blade) or round (screw) connector. It looks like you have an early single field wire alternator, and that wire is green anyway. It is possible that the car originally had AC and it could be for the clutch. I really can not think of another wire coming out of that end of the harness except for the temp sensor, AC clutch, carb choke, AC solenoid, and the horn relay (but that is a blue and green pair IIRC).

Auto Transport Service
Back