• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What brake booster should a 1968 Charger R/T have?

Local time
3:53 PM
Reaction score
Hi all. I'm putting together my buddy's 1968 Dodge Charger R/T factory 440 car. Putting a new brake booster on it and I'm wondering which one it should have. I know it should be Bendix since it has factory 4 piston calipers, but I'm not sure which one. The shop manual is very vague. It shows one that is a twist and lock and one that is a crimp together style. It' doesn't say which one is for the 440 and which is for the Hemi, the pictures do but they look identical to one another (and they're poorly labeled of course), except I know one is a single diaphragm and one is a tandem. Also know that the brake lines can exit either side of the master cylinder. Anyone with any info please help!!! Lol.

I learned alot about mopar brakes from theramman

from
http://therammaninc.com/videos/Brake-Boosters-23

I was lucky that I found a rebuilt OEM booster on feebay. Had I not found an OEM booster, I would have gotten one of these similar looking new ones in the video, they are available from almost every disk brake conversion outfit, including from some sponsors of this site.

The rule of thumb- single diaphragm came on drum cars. Dual diaphragm came on disc cars. The Hemi booster had the lines exit on the left of the master cylinder, it is unique unto itself. A 440 car would not have a Hemi booster.

Auto Transport Service
Back