• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What brand fan/alt belts are you guys using?

hunt2elk

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:13 AM
Reaction score
I have always used Gates XL series. Was just going to order a couple, and see they are now made in China. Are there better ones out there, preferably made closer to home?
More Information for GATES 7460

I buy Dayco every time if possible. Once owned stock in the company. At one time, maybe still, they made 75% of OEM belts used on new autos thru out the world. And they make a lot of belts sold under different name brands. We know Walmart sells a lot of its name brand items that are made by top name brand companies. Now are those items made at lesser quality or the same....cannot say. Same with Dayco.

Has Dayco built any manufacturing plants in China by now, don't know that either. They do have plants all over the world. I too prefer to pay extra for USA made products.

Not impressed with Gates belts at all anymore. Their lawn and garden belts are just not even worth the materials they used up to make them. Literally did not even make a lap around the yard before 2 different belts fail, at different times. Went on Monday and got belt from Tractor supply it has been on there since middle of last season and all this season.
I have had good luck with Dualast at Auto zone. I'm sure they and the Tractor supply belts are not made here.

I use Gates.
They are holding up fine though I have not tested any other brands.

Not impressed with Gates belts at all anymore. Their lawn and garden belts are just not even worth the materials they used up to make them. Literally did not even make a lap around the yard before 2 different belts fail, at different times. Went on Monday and got belt from Tractor supply it has been on there since middle of last season and all this season.
I have had good luck with Dualast at Auto zone. I'm sure they and the Tractor supply belts are not made here.
I had the same experience with Gates belts, blew through three on my lawn mower deck in a few days before getting an original Husqvarna kevlar belt that has lasted a few years now.

Here is some very important information on belts. Just because they are V in design and the correct width and length does not necessarily mean they are correct for the application. Any belt that had a tensioner or idler that runs on the back side of the belt requires a belt designed to be run that way. If not they will fail.

Next time you're at Auto Zone ask if the Duralast brand is made by Dayco, I think they are, or once were.

Dayco outer cog belts. Can’t hardly find good smooth belts anymore.

Here is some very important information on belts. Just because they are V in design and the correct width and length does not necessarily mean they are correct for the application. Any belt that had a tensioner or idler that runs on the back side of the belt requires a belt designed to be run that way. If not they will fail.
If they think that a lawn and garden belt is not going to be reversed with a back side idler, I think we have a answer to what belt brand not to use. I've also had trouble with Gates belts on any with double belts like the A/C belts on big block, or the fan drive belts on a N series Cummins engine. I still use them because Napa is right down the street, but if I have a choice, no.
Dayco belts I have never had a problem with.

At one time you could get "Matched Sets" when running double or triple belts.
Don't know if it is any more.

i use continental belts with no problems. bought at summit and the label said continental usa . no mention of china or any other country of origin

At one time you could get "Matched Sets" when running double or triple belts.
Don't know if it is any more.
The last time I replaced them on my GTX with AC I ordered 3 belts and selected the 2 that matched up the closest.

I had to go to E bay to get belts for newer sanden a/c compressor (shorter than factory) I looked all over and settled on two non matched Gates XL, they say China, so far so good...

Auto Transport Service
Back