• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What bucket seat fasteners am I missing?

Dibbons

Local time
11:31 AM
Reaction score
I seem to be short some screws here, could have been the previous owner lost 'em, not sure.
IMG0035A.jpg

Specifically my questions are:
A) I have four 1 3/4" screws (above bottom right) that I assume go to the plastic bucket seat back. However, the plastic seat back has six holes, two of them are up high on the back behind the head rest and four (two on each side) on the arms that the seat back swings on. Which holes do these 1 3/4" screws go into? And am I missing two screws the same size or do I need two small screws?

B) How does that little metal bracket (above middle bottom) go on for the push button? I assume it goes on the inside of the plastic seat back. What size screw(s) holds it in place? There also is a round black rubber gasket (above middle center).

C) The seat back latch (above right) has an oval "washer" or "spacer", does that go under the latch or on top? Do those two lock washers belong on the oval washer or somewhere else?

D) Anything else I need, or any other hints on getting this back together?

Thank you.

your pic isn't the greatest
its hard to tell what screws you have there?
do the seats have a small release button?
i have a box of bucket seat hardware kicking around somewhere
(i have 3 pairs of 71 bucket seats)
all of my seats do have the larger release button on them
so they might be different

As far as screws, what i show in the foto is one chrome screw for the round circular "bump" washer that goes under the spring on the opposite side of the latch and I have two small bolts for the latch itself and I have those four long screws (1 3/4 inch long) which i an now thinking don't even belong to the bucket seat hardware because they are too long. Of course, I do have the two large bolts for the main hinges on each side. I guess i need to know what screws (6?) hold the plastic seat back on and what screw holds down the bracket that retains the push button.

i was going to say those 4 screws don't look right to me.
it will take me a little time to dig out my stash of hardware
the soonest will be after work tomorrow.
if nobody steps up before then, i will post it up for you.
i believe they are pan head screws, just different sizes..

I think you're right. Those long screws almost look like 1971 tail light lens screws but they were in a bag labled "bucket seat".

Look for a body shop manual for the car, reproductions are out there you will be amazed on how helpful it is.

The body shop manual shows some short screws in the diagram. I guess I need to see if the parts book shows specs for the fasteners, unless someone on the forum is in the process of taking apart/putting together their own bucket seats.

Curious if you ever found out what screws to use. I got an interior screw kit from partsmix, but it seems incomplete.
20190419_122845.jpg

I agree the service manual is vague. Just shows pictures of the screws not the sizes or types. And the lower hinge cover screws look shorter than the upper hinge screws.
20190419_122718.jpg

I never got the answers I was looking for and the upholstery shop put the seats together when I was absent, so I don't know what they used in the end.

Two of the four long screws in my foto are bent to hell (those on the right), if that leaves a clue for anyone.

Ok thanks. The screws in page 9 are too short for the upper hinge cover.
20190419_130919.jpg

And the same screws are too long for the lower.
20190419_131003.jpg
20190419_131128.jpg

The screw would go thru the washer and into cut into the vinyl.

Auto Transport Service
Back