• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

what cam shaft are you running on the street

The older MP .484 cam works good in the right combo. The problem is many put it in a stock eng with no gear and converter and then its a low end pig. I used it in a stock bottom end 383 with stock 452 heads that I did some bowl blending on. This was in a 72 Dart with that MP .484 cam and the RPM intake with a 750 DP. With 3.91's and a TA 10" converter it ran 12.30's @ 110. It has a nice idle and great low end as I had it on a 104 ICL. I do like the MP 280/.474 cam as I had that in a very stock 340 with headers and it ran very good as it ran 13.49 @ 105 on slippery street tires. Course in my 440/493 I use a custom grind solid flat tappet from Dwayne Porter and I really like his cams as he will grind it to work good for the combo. There are so many off the shelf cams to choose from today that my suggestion is if you don't know a lot about cams call a cam manufactor or a shop that builds engines and have them pick a cam for your combo. You will get a lot of different good opinions on here and it can be confusing to some. Dwayne Porter builds engines and specs cams for them and he is very good. If you want to call and talk to him his # is 802-951-1955. Or call what ever cam company you decide on as they can help you choose or they will pick or grind one that should work good for you. Ron

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

compcams 292 extreme solid roller, 3800 loose convertor, in on 103.5 also, car weight 3278 , dana 60 w/ 3:73 gear, very docile , until I stick my foot in the 1200 cfm throttle body, turns sideways almost instantly w/ 295 65 15 d. radials . No track time yet.
Awesome

Late to the party but I have agree with 383man. I made the mistake of using the 484/284/108 cam without the proper parts in a 440 and it was a pooch on the bottom end. 2000 stall and 3.23 gears in a 73 charger. Well I could have pushed it to the 60ft line quicker. I pulled it and put it on the shelf for the 455/272 cam and it was much happier. Years later I built the 383 in my road runner with the .484 cam in mind. 9.5 comp, Edelbrock RPM top end, 625 street demon, 1-3/4 Doug's headers , 5speed and a 4.10 rear with 27 in diameter tires.That cam works just fine and pulls hard from 2800- 6500 and will spin to 7 if you're not paying attention. I could have gone with a modern profile, but with all the extra airflow available the old poo poo cam was plenty. The point is make sure your parts combo is matched to the cam whether it's a high rpm screamer or low end torque monster. BTW running 18 degrees initial with 40 total on 91 octane. It's just on the edge so pulling 2 degrees from the top will probably be in order.

Last edited:
'69 Coronet w/318- factory cam. All I did was have the cylinder heads overhauled, replaced gaskets and timing chain. 2" dual exhaust because original exhaust pipes were rusted out. Has 8 1/4 rear w/2.71 gears. Almost never sees over 3,000 rpms. No complaints. Works great for a daily driver.
'73 Charger w/400- "Street Hemi" cam. Classic example of mis-matched parts. Factory 4bbl intake w/Thermoquad, original 2 1/4 dual exhaust with glass packs. '73 Magnum exhaust manifolds. 489 8 3/4 rear w/2.76 gears. 213 heads pocket ported. '72 230 standard bore block re-ringed w/Speed Pro moly rings. Stock torque converter.
Couldn't win a drag race to save its life, but once over 2,000 rpm pulled hard. Never lost a race on the top end. At 65 mph I could drop it in 2nd, floor it and it was just a hop, skip, and a jump to 100 mph. Averaged around 13 mpg. 10" hg at idle. Power brakes usually ended up being manual (not enough vacuum).
Now it's time to bring the ol' girl in for repairs. The heads need to be overhauled (it was a sad day when I found out the #5 plug was oil fouled). I'm going to replace the cam and timing chain.
The "Street Hemi" cam wasn't that bad considering, but I'm going with something closer to the factory standard engine camshaft this time around.
I did recurve the distributor. Set timing around 13 btd initial with 34 all in. Engine ran very smooth when vacuum advance was disconnected, but I usually ran it with vacuum advance hooked up (ported on carb).

Save yourself the time & money and just dial your timing to 6-8*ATDC for that lumpy cam sound. It'll run like crap but sound badass at idle! Good Luck

https://www.speed-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=42247&start=15

https://www.speed-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7299

good read for a low comp motor
short lunati or short howards with a 15 in the notes column are best catalog grinds
(any others better post them up)
Lunati is 250 @.006 howard 256 but also has more lift
Mike Jones motorhome grind is the best in this class AFIK because it has the shortest actual seat to seat timing and duration at .200 is greater than the 440 Magnum cam
which should be a bunch more than you have now
the 248 MP cam also works
Bullet and others (Crower, Engle) can also do you a custom if you specify a .904 master
otherwise the cheap chevy grinds are a step backwards
and no reason to use the 360 grind or the 340 HP grind or the Edelbrock style 204 0r 204-214
just long lazy lobes and if you advance them to get cylinder pressure then with the wide lca's the exhaust opens way too early

Ken dog’s 280/480 suggestion was s a good day be IMO for the purple cam line. IF you can find it cheap. It is more in a similar but slightly higher rpm range of your “Fall in its face @ 5K” cam.
Any new cam grinds are equal or better to the older purples.

A “bumpy cam” comes not from the duration but more from how the timing events are occurring. Your typical muscle car cam and s on a 110 centerline. A more radical question doe wwould op be on a 108. A race weight idle sound will be on a 106 or lower.

You can call up the cam company you want to use and ask that the cam be moved down to a 108 which will help bottom end torque.

There is also the Thumper line from Comp Cams. Howard’s has there line as well. Mild cams with race like idle chopping sound while remaining nice and ez to drive on.
Went with the mutha thumper

Late to the party but I have agree with 383man. I made the mistake of using the 484/284/108 cam without the proper parts in a 440 and it was a pooch on the bottom end. 2000 stall and 3.23 gears in a 73 charger. Well I could have pushed it to the 60ft line quicker.
Did you put that 484 in straight up or advance it at least 4 degrees? Did ya use a degree wheel to set the cam timing.....?

Buddy of mine has been running this cam for years... I'm blown away how streetable it is... Even does great with 3.23 gears...
IMG_5061.jpg

Wow! Made that reply in ‘17.

People on lockdown have nothing better to do. I've been seeing a lot of old, dead threads getting resurrected, some as old as 8 years and older. It's funny if you ask me, because they expect a answer to their problems from old news!

People on lockdown have nothing better to do. I've been seeing a lot of old, dead threads getting resurrected, some as old as 8 years and older. It's funny if you ask me, because they expect a answer to their problems from old news!
Or either people are seeing the old posts for the 1st time and are reading them looking for answers that were posted several years ago......

8B59C76F-C9DB-4AF4-8CD9-F3E8A3AA5201.png
Old thread but I’m happy with this Comp build.

Auto Transport Service
Back