• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What car were you driving the first time you clocked 100 mph or more?

Don't know about any prison on Mcdowell, I've been here 35 years and McDowell is a very busy street controlled by traffic lights in both directions for all the time I've lived here. Seems like it's been a long time since you've been here, however, we still get 115 degree days here. Just like today.
Was down it last in April. Traffic lights stop in west Goodyear at the end of the divided street. From there west it's all four way stops all the way to the dead-end in Buckeye. Your right about one thing it is a very busy street.

Was down it last in April. Traffic lights stop in west Goodyear at the end of the divided street. From there west it's all four way stops all the way to the dead-end in Buckeye. Your right about one thing it is a very busy street.
You were taking about a back road that goes thru Papago Park which is at the border of Phoenix and Scottsdale. Where you are talking about now is the west valley and about 30 miles from Papago Park. Even that area has seen extensive development in the past 30 years.

I hit 100mph in 2 different cars in the same summer. Im not sure which one was first. I buried the needle (120mph) on my 1969 Buick Skylark. I remember that was fun and exciting while accelerating but scary as hell trying to get it slowed down with 4 wheel drums! The other car was my mom's 1989 Iroc camaro. She came home one day complaining that it wasn't running right and asked me to take it for a test drive to see what I thought was wrong. The car was hesitating a bit and felt sluggish it was also almost out of gas so I filled it up with premium and hit the streets. I opened it up a few times and blew a bunch of carbon out of the tailpipes. After that I hit the highway. Fortunately there was no one ahead or behind so I decided to give it a good run. Took it up to 105mph.
20210619_190449.jpg

Here is a pic of the Iroc. I dont have a pic of the Skylark on my phone.

You were taking about a back road that goes thru Papago Park which is at the border of Phoenix and Scottsdale. Where you are talking about now is the west valley and about 30 miles from Papago Park. Even that area has seen extensive development in the past 30 years.
You were and I wasn't. Not going to argue over the matter. Not even sure were McDowell ends in the east valley. Never been there and have not claimed to be.

My 69 mustang mach1 on rt 29just below rt 70
There was no traffic there 50 years ago
I miss that car, sold it for 1200 in 79
351,4sp red, black hood,
The only thing I hated was the drum brakes. All that go and no stop

One of my favorite over 100 MPH stories is:

Around 1990 I was driving my ratty 70 Super Bee on a very lightly traveled 2 lane road into town from a mostly rural area.

I spotted a neighborhood kid a couple years younger than me up ahead in his 87 pontiac gta and decided to have a little fun. I really had no idea how this was gonna turn out. IIRC the speed limit on that road was 45 or 50. it was mostly straight with a couple sweeping curves and minor elevation changes. I came up pretty fast and he saw me and sped up At about 100, I decided to make my move and got in the other lane as we were approaching a somewhat more populated area. My speedo was pegged at 150 and had almost stopped bouncing when I went past and eased back into the lane in front of him (and his cute *** girlfriend)., taking my foot off the gas.

When we got back into the neighborhood and unloaded at a mutual friend's house, we were both laughing and I said I had never had that car to 150 before.

He said "no way, we were only doing 135".

To which I responded "If you remember correctly.....I was passing you".

That was good for a hearty laugh from the crowd.

117+ past the prison? McDowell is full of stop signs. But that's west valley.
Mcdowell is the front by the former pow camp, this road was on the back side. Think more like E Oak St. behind the army post, this was around 1981, no stop signs. Phoenix/ Scottsdale was a much different place then. Too much like L.A. now for me.

1970 Duster 340 on Okinawa in 1979. Speed limit on most of the island was 50 KPH - only 31 MPH. My dad had to come get me out of jail once. That was fun. Thank god he was a car guy and understood...somewhat... Still have that car.

Mid 70's in my 69 Charger R/T,at that speed I found out that pushing the brake pedal was just a suggestion at that speed.I pushed and nothing happened, it wasn't until the car slowed down to 90-100 mph that the brakes started to do something.

after a car show one hot summers night had 5 /30 packs of coors lite in the car and a heavy foot 120 mph + ok i had a few but it was fun .

Auto Transport Service
Back