• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What defines a clone?

I agree if you want an all original sheetmetal matching numbers than so be it , thats what you will pay for $250 to 1,000,000, you can't have fun and drive those, that why there is a market for rebody and clone cars$75,000 to $100,000? What wrong with that? In a few years it will be the Demon's.

Transferring Vin numbers will put you in jail no matter how good your story is. Vin numbers are assigned 1 time to one chassis. The only reason you would transfer the vin is to make the car look like it was an original car when it wasn't. That is called fraud.

you mean like when those Shelby mustangs where made wit dynacorn full bodies and added Shelby vins? I did a search on that .Its seams it was illegal in Ohio, but when they appealed it to Federal court the ruling was over turned. Search it and read the ruling. As all the manufactures remove and transfer's vin's. I don't agree with it but that's the ruling. when u remove a VIN from a Mopar with the dash that's a violation , even though you are going to put it back in the car you removed it from. Is that what you are saying also? a lot of question's and no answer's. just shooting them out there, Anyone else with some ideas and info. Lets have fun and not get out of control.

The Shelby case was special because the manufacturer already had the VIN numbers but they were unused from the time they originally produced the cars.

The key is that it's the original manufacturer.

Just a guess on my part. But the Street Rod/Custom segment used to cut off at 1948. Last year for split windshields. Then they moved it to 1958. The Impala in American Graffiti? Now it is 1964. Maybe because after that the factorys got in on the customizing act. Take a Tempest, slap some emblems and trim on, and by 1966 it was a separate model. In 1967 the GTX said Belvedere right on the emblem. Same thing, in 1968 it was just GTX. Just Hot Rodding from the factory.

I've always called them "factory hot rods".

A clone is a not-very-desirable car, dressed up as a very desirable car, intentionally looking like something it isn't. A 318 E-body, with a 440, a shaker and billboards, etc.
Obviously, as stated multiple times above, your real GTX is a REAL GTX, not a clone.
When my 62 had my REAL max in it, it still wasn't a clone, cause it wasn't dressed as an original max wedge, and it sure wouldn't fool anyone.

If its a clone. Its a He/she.

A clone is a not-very-desirable car, dressed up as a very desirable car, intentionally looking like something it isn't. A 318 E-body, with a 440, a shaker and billboards, etc.
Obviously, as stated multiple times above, your real GTX is a REAL GTX, not a clone.
When my 62 had my REAL max in it, it still wasn't a clone, cause it wasn't dressed as an original max wedge, and it sure wouldn't fool anyone.
With ‘68-‘70 Chargers, that doesn’t seem to matter as much anymore. They are all Chargers, 318 or not, and desirable. Restomod 318 cars with modern drivetrains are selling for as much if not more than OEM R/T’s. Also, a ‘69 318 Satellite with a Gen 3 and a 6 speed sold on BAT recently for $93k.

It could be argued that gtx's, roadrunners, and satellites are clones of belvederes.

Just wondering what ever happened to those 3 Demons that caught on fire while in transport? Rumor has it they where reissued to new Demon's? Did they use the same low VIN? Or did they issue new vin number's

YY1, just asking. So if Dodge has unused vin numbers, they could make those car's again, like says 10 or 15 more Demon's., What would they be worth. How about a few 70/71 Hemi convertible 4 speeds.How would that work? Just asking.

Well, there is a complete 70 Challenger body available new.

You can home assemble one and because YOU are the manufacturer (well, assembler), YOU get a legit VIN, like a home assembled fiberglass street rod.
Of course it has none of the significance or value, (perceived or otherwise) as a 1970 VIN issued to a car that was supposed to be built in 1970.

Now if Stelantis were to turn up a handful of 1970 JS23V tags, with the proper paperwork.......

Smile and say, "Have a nice day". Why would someone else's opinion of your car hold any merit? Don't give other people the power to upset you. If you introduced him to your girlfriend, would you accept his idea of whether she had a boob job?
My 66 Charger Restored as I found it!

Smile and say, "Have a nice day". Why would someone else's opinion of your car hold any merit? Don't give other people the power to upset you. If you introduced him to your girlfriend, would you accept his idea of whether she had a boo

DSC_3156.JPG

FB_IMG_4048487202748418092.jpg

DSC_3153.JPG

DSC_3157.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back