• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What do the Hemi guys think of this cam?

rev.ronnie

Local time
10:56 AM
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I am building a Hemi out of parts and pieces I am acquiring as I go along. I've been at it for a while and now I have almost every part except for pistons, pushrods and gaskets.

So, I have multiple cams. One is a Racer Brown STX-22. It seems they still sell that one and I know it's quite legendary.

This is the one I have in question;

image.jpg

I was able to get the cam card from Crane still. They did not offer up much other info.
Has anybody run this cam? My goal with this engine is to actually use all period correct parts and build an engine just like how people used to do them back in the day. I even want it to sound like it...noisy pistons, clacking cam, Pete Jackson gear drive, etc. a real street warrior per-say. I have standard and 1.6 intake rockers.

I plan on using a Edelbrock STR-11 Tunnel ram with dual 1050 dominators, or possibly a Vanke modified dual quad and a pair of 650 AFBs. It depends on what I put it in.

Here is the beast sitting in mock up.
image.jpg

Thanks for any info on how either cam runs...rpm range, idle nastiness, etc.

All I can add here is based on info I have read, you might consider not using the 1.6 rockers. I like the build theme! Now if you can only find something to build into a gasser.

All I can add here is based on info I have read, you might consider not using the 1.6 rockers. I like the build theme! Now if you can only find something to build into a gasser.

Yeah, I get that. It may delay closing to the point where cylinder pressure is affected. Honestly, I have a rebuilt set of OE ratio rockers and the geometry is better with them anyway.

I really wonder what this cam would sound like.. Also the STX-22. I wish I could hear the exhaust note on either.

This engine could end up I some rat beater for the kid. She's in drivers ed now. I have a year :)

It's this, or a 310" Chevy with a dual quad cross ram and a Muncie 4 speed.

I need to find a car..

I Used A Race Brown STX-21 Cam For My Hemi Round Round Car Forty Years Ago! We Were Told By Robert Sudman, Engine Builder For Bobby Allison Racing, Hueytown, Alabama, That This Cam Was The One To Use For 1/2 Mile Dirt Track Applications For A Hemi! Didn't Know They Even Still Made Them Since The Original Owner Had Moved To Baltimore!

Does anyone have application info on this Erson Hemi cam?
Erson Cam.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back