• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What do you call your clone?

And seeing good original parts for my car on a clone is upsetting. .

im just trying to understand here. for example , someone trying to find a pair of 72 rallye doors or tail lights then spends upwards of 1200 bucks to get them and then stick them on a 72 318 charger that is not an original rallye car is upsetting to you ? why ? because you didn't find them first? because maybe at the time they had more money to spend on them or you couldn't get to them first? I don't understand the logic, its still a 72 charger, so what if it started life as a base 318 car? its a free market society , parts are parts and if they fit on my car, and if I beat the next guy to them then im going to use them. if the car was built as a 318 car and now has every component that makes it a rallye charger, how would you even know without looking at the numbers? my buddy had a factory 440 4 speed, yes 4 speed , B5 blue 72 charger rallye with blue interior , of which , the doors and hood , taillights amongst other parts all went on my 72 charger SE, including re-working the fixed window area that made it an SE , and when i was done , you could never tell it from a standard rallye. he was more than happy to help me put it together. sometimes you just have to do what you have to do, i was damn proud of that car. i could have just as easily pulled the dash out and stuck it in my SE , would i ? hell no. but it happens everyday. at least people that tell people it wasn't born as such are not taking it a step further .

Last edited:
I don't know. I think when someone has the bill of sale and or title to a car in their hand, they have the right to do whatever the hell they want with their car. And if they happen to get to that NOS part that someone else needed for their "real" car, then oh well. That's how it rolls. IMHO as long as people don't try to pass off a clone for the real thing, it's all good. That's the only place I draw the line. Other than that, it's fair game.

I don't know. I think when someone has the bill of sale and or title to a car in their hand, they have the right to do whatever the hell they want with their car. And if they happen to get to that NOS part that someone else needed for their "real" car, then oh well. That's how it rolls. IMHO as long as people don't try to pass off a clone for the real thing, it's all good. That's the only place I draw the line. Other than that, it's fair game.
I agree Rusty, parts aside, (Hell I need a right fender for my RR and I'll take whatever I can get at this point, anybody got one?) it's the passing something off of something that what it's not is my biggest rub.

Meanwhile..........while folks are squabbling about stickers and VIN tag's, others are building, fixing, driving and enjoying their Mopars.............L8R

X2:headbang:
"Drive It Hard Or Don't Drive It At All"

Well there is a news flash! The vin is different, but yet the body looks the same. When I go to a car show I'm not looking at the fu@&$%g vin number. Dart or duster, satty, or RR, cuda or challenger they are all Mopars and I love them all. Im more than happy with what I have and if you don't like my clone then don't look at it.

Maybe you don't but you would be surprised at how many people do.

Regarding the original question:
Technically these cars are not TRUELY clones and I think it is an improper name for the cars. By definition, a true clone is identical in everyway as the original it came from (as in cloning from cells with the same DNA) If that were true of a car it would also have the same V.I.N.
The proper name for this type of car is "tribute." However the namr clone has been around so long it will likely never change.

When people ask what your car is tell the it is a Roadrunner clone or tribute. Then you will get to spend the next 1/2 explaining to them the difference, what it started as, why it is different, etc, etc.

Maybe you don't but you would be surprised at how many people do.

yep, lots of numbers crunchers out there. took my RR to a cruise friday night, first guy checking it out scoped out the vin. happens to my dart all the time too.

my 70 belvy is in the process of being cloned..i tell ppl its just a belvy..were im at i couldn't find a real roadrunner under 25-35k..i just turned 30 and always wanted one so i fig id find the cleanest b body i could and make it how i always wanted one..ill enjoy the car and will prob never sell it..theres not many of these cars left period so saving one is a good thing..

- - - Updated - - -

iv been seeing alot of clones on craigslist called tribute cars...one was a 1970 tribute roadrunner for 22k

i sure am glad to see that a thread can go totally sideways without any participation from me. Lol

lmfao!!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

This is my modded 69 RR, it's not a clone. or as one of you put it a clown! It's mine I like it, I drive it, and I am building it so if you don't like it then don't look at it ;)

Clones are just options put on a car that it didn't come with but could have if the original buyer had checked different boxes that's all. Us putting the stuff on later is just paying tribute to what should have been in our opinions.

20130420_083410_zpsdf0e3b9e.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Hell I am even considering doing something some would consider sacrilege. Rear spoiler on a 69! ahhhh

117005_Rear_3-4_Web_zpse27f4eca.gif

A12hoodcaps2_zps3affa57f.gif

I love it!!! Be brave. I want to do that and the plymouth on the 1/4's.

my 70 belvy is in the process of being cloned..i tell ppl its just a belvy..were im at i couldn't find a real roadrunner under 25-35k..i just turned 30 and always wanted one so i fig id find the cleanest b body i could and make it how i always wanted one..ill enjoy the car and will prob never sell it..theres not many of these cars left period so saving one is a good thing..

- - - Updated - - -

iv been seeing alot of clones on craigslist called tribute cars...one was a 1970 tribute roadrunner for 22k

I see your abuse of English is on par with your abuse of B bodies Josh.

I built my 1970 Coronet 440 into a Super bee clone. The family called it the hot rod...Now this might rub people wrong, but i don't give two shits if you have 1970 year manifold bolts on your 70 B body or 68 or 69 or ARP for all that matters. All that ever mattered to me, was the damn thing fast enough to shut up the local Chivy, ferd, or impoke owner.

If that meant shoe horning a 440 into, I'd do it and put 440 emblems on for fun. Life is too damn short, and we are too regulated enough all ready, that I'm not going to build it the way I want.

sorry, my 2 wooden nickels

Mike

To be fair to the guys and gals that can buy / build pure cars, I think we all would want to be able to own at least one pure car of a particular year. Me personally it would be a 70 RR or GTX or 68-70 charger. So to all those people who have taken the time to build or buy a pure #'s matching car, Hats off to you for taking the time and money to do it the way you wanted it done.:headbang: There will always be something to be said for a factory original car. always!

Oh add Superbird and Daytona to that list!

Now to boggle your brain a bit -

If you fully restore a car with all restoration parts like most do today, this can not be a pure car simply because it does not have the original factory parts on it anymore. How could a fully restored to original be called a pure car? Replacing sheet metal of even replacing glass makes it not pure anymore. Is it not indeed a clone now? Using repop parts on a restoration is not pure. Restoring that original part on your car is pure so if you take the time to fully restore very part on your car that needs to be restored to make it drive able than you have a pure car right? if not in essence all the rest are a clone of some sort?

Moral -Unless your car is factory original than it is a clone of one degree or another but does that mean you should be looked down upon? NO! it just means you made what you wanted and that's OK If purist are looking down on you than look back up at them and say hey purist eat my shorts as you do a fat burn out in front of them while they trailer their car lmao!

I have about 50 grand in my satillite, the body is the only thing thats original, and I don't have any emblems on it, nobody knows what it is

To be fair to the guys and gals that can buy / build pure cars, I think we all would want to be able to own at least one pure car of a particular year. Me personally it would be a 70 RR or GTX or 68-70 charger. So to all those people who have taken the time to build or buy a pure #'s matching car, Hats off to you for taking the time and money to do it the way you wanted it done.:headbang: There will always be something to be said for a factory original car. always!

Oh add Superbird and Daytona to that list!

Now to boggle your brain a bit -

If you fully restore a car with all restoration parts like most do today, this can not be a pure car simply because it does not have the original factory parts on it anymore. How could a fully restored to original be called a pure car? Replacing sheet metal of even replacing glass makes it not pure anymore. Is it not indeed a clone now? Using repop parts on a restoration is not pure. Restoring that original part on your car is pure so if you take the time to fully restore very part on your car that needs to be restored to make it drive able than you have a pure car right? if not in essence all the rest are a clone of some sort?

Moral -Unless your car is factory original than it is a clone of one degree or another but does that mean you should be looked down upon? NO! it just means you made what you wanted and that's OK If purist are looking down on you than look back up at them and say hey purist eat my shorts as you do a fat burn out in front of them while they trailer their car lmao!

yep there only original once... restorations are bordering on being just another clone or re-bodied in some cases too.... unless it came with it, than it ain't original anymore either.... period... you own it build it how you want to.... who cares what someone else says... my $0.02 cents

- - - Updated - - -

If that meant shoe horning a 440 into, I'd do it and put 440 emblems on for fun. Life is too damn short, and we are too regulated enough all ready, that I'm not going to build it the way I want.
Mike

Bingo !!

bring out the clone!

as others have stated_nothing wrong with doing what you want with your car until you try to sell it.

Attachments

• clone.gif
    clone.gif
    29.3 KB · Views: 299
Clone...fake...wannabe...tribute (there's a good one). Lying is only something that's truly and intentionally done with intent to defraud. So, WHO cares?!! If you have one of the Satellite/Belvedere-base cars, call it what you may, it really matters not. Just enjoy the damned thing and move on! The reality of the car hobby is nothing more than fun and enjoyment. Oh yeah, and for those who do want it...status. The rest of us just wanna have fun.

Attachments

• fake.jpg
    fake.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 265
Auto Transport Service
Back